Saturday 23 December 2023

Christmas

There were photos taken and I've seen a couple of videos but there are none in my possession.  Honest.  

But if you have an active imagination, picture a group of 'senior' women who live in a retirement village decked out in black pants, red Christmassy tops, funny hats and white shoes providing the entertainment at a Christmas function.  Line dancing no less.  As Miranda's mum would say, "Such fun!"

And, despite our nerves, it really was fun.  Our audience were most appreciative.  And we were the seven happiest women at the event when it was all over.  No-one messed up too badly, the majority of the time we were in step.

Christmas is fast approaching - can't wait.  Unless something untoward happens we will have a full family muster, including our three family members from Brasil.  My arms are practically aching to wrap around little Emilia.

It seems like I've been sewing every day for months.  Back in October our Social Club decided we should raise some money to go towards our Christmas dinner so a Craft Group was formed.  I contributed by crocheting some granny squares for a blanket that we raffled, and a crocheted baby blanket and by sewing.  No sooner was that all done than it was time to start on making gifts for the family for Christmas.  These days as our family is expanding the adults do a Secret Santa but I pull rank and like to make a little gift for everyone.  I love it.  It's a really happy time for me.   I pick up cheap material during the year from op shops. This year I was in the right place at the right time when one of the residents in the village had three duvet covers with matching pillow cases for sale - for $10 a set.   The set I nabbed is king size so there has been a lot of material to play with.  There's still plenty left.  I think I might brighten my sitting room in the new year with new cushion covers.

One of the pre-Christmas events I've enjoyed the most was a trip to town for the residents in our small bus to look at the night time Christmas decorations.  There was a lively, festive atmosphere aboard the bus with lots of oohing and aahing. 

I am so grateful that I feel so settled and happy in my new home.  I have found my people.

I hope you all have a wonderful festive season.

6 comments:

  1. I am sure you had wonderful fun and that kind of laughing keeps you so healthy! Happy Holidays to down under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you are doing well and that crochet is a popular thing, I need to get back into it. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear you are feelling settled. Wishing you a really happy Christmas Pauline :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun, all the way around! It must bring you a special joy to make gifts for those you love, and the fabric is so cheery.

    I pray you and your family all have a blessed and beautiful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas, Pauline! And happy for you that you feel at home where you now live!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to hear that you have settled into the village and are throwing yourself into activities. We have never looked back either. You are very industrious. The cushion covers look great.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!