Tuesday 2 January 2024

Christmas

One of my brothers, after every family gathering, would ask the question, "Who had the most fun?"  Nine times out of 10 the answer would be one of the youngest children.

When I asked myself this question after our family Christmas get together, Emilia was definitely the answer.  She had arrived in the country on Christmas Day and we'd allowed a few days for her and her parents to get over their jet lag before setting the date for "our" Christmas.  As my family grows with grandchildren now having partners, that allowed them to spend time with their "others halves" families, too.  I didn't care how long it took to find a time when we could all be together, the wait was worth it.

 

 My 4 generations.  So proud.

It was just wonderful having all my family together.  They all get along so well together, they make my heart sing. 

 

My 4 children relaxing in a quiet corner after lunch

But first it was all hands on deck to prepare the meal to which everyone had contributed.  As the saying goes, many hands make light work and somehow with not a lot of planning, it all comes together.  Someone said, "Freeze" and the kitchen staff at the time, me with my daughter-in-law and daughter complied.  Even my son who was handing something in through the servery window, looks to be complying although he hadn't heard the order.

 

Lexis, my 8 year old great-grand-daughter with 3 year grand-daughter, Emilia.  Lexis had presented Emilia with a pretty party dress that no longer fits her.

 

Then, after gifts had been given and received, the sitting room tidied, and everyone had moved outside to the patio to enjoy a very pleasant summer's day, my daughter walked back inside to this sight. She must have been exhausted after all the excitement.

 
I know how she felt.  Two days later I came down with a heavy cold which I am still fighting.  No New Year celebrations for me.  I am missing out on Emilia time so am taking very good care of myself in order to get back into grand-mothering fitness.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful family, Lovely to see all your family together at one time.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. It was a wonderful occasion for sure.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure the photo of you all together will become a much loved family heirloom in the coming years. Especially as you all look so happy.
    I do hope your cold disappears soon and you can get back into grand-mothering again :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly improving, thanks, Margaret. I plan to rejoin the world tomorrow,

      Delete
  3. I pray you and your family have a blessed and beautiful 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, messymimi. I wish you the same also.

      Delete
  4. They all look so healthy and happy. What a joy it must have been to have them around you. You should get the first picture enlarged, printed and framed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, YP. I plan to do just that.

      Delete
  5. What an absolutely fabulous occasion. I shall be exceptionally surprised (assuming that I will still be compos mentis) if I'm see my grandson (aged 6 on 22 December) with a partner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your son was a late starter, Graham. As was my second son. I shall be equally surprised if I see little Emilia reach maturity. That just makes every moment spent with them so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a very happy family reunion, Pauline! Glad you had a good time! As neither my brother nor I have children, and we live 300 km apart, after our parents died we stopped getting together for Christmas. Makes more sense for us now to meet up for a few days in summer instead, when there's more we can "do" together. (At your end of the world of course Christmas coincides with summer, so a different story that way...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think colds and viruses are now an inevitable part of life when people arrive from far and near. Hope you feel better. YOu are certainly blessed with such a lovely family.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!