Tuesday 14 November 2023

Make hay

The sun was shining but a darkish cloud was threatening to put an end to the fine weather activities.  One of the residents had said if there was no rain or wind on Thursday he'd light the garden waste fire.  (Imagine the uproar if the wind sprang up and drifted smoke over the village!)  The tractor driver had similar thoughts about turning the hay.  They both got the job done. 

 

I like how the community works in my new home.  Those who can, do.  The more able-bodied do the more physical stuff like maintaining the common areas, the public gardens, etc. The rest of us do what we can.  I'm not up to much bending and gardening but I can sew, knit and crochet so I do those things and contribute towards our stall at the local market.  This is this week's effort.  All made from left over bits of material.  Although my eyesight is not sharp I get by but put off the hand sewing until there is good light and I can sit outside and do it.  I used to be quietly proud of my neat hand sewing but now I'm happy if it doesn't look too bad to me as I know my standard in that department is pretty high.

 

My unit is very small so most of the work happens in the kitchen where I cut out on the bench-top and where I pin things together because the light is better there than in the living room where the sewing machine sits on my desk. 

So I'm now in the habit of using the kitchen to prepare an early lunch or even making a lunch to eat later if I want to start earlier.  I have to stop in time to clear everything away to prepare my dinner and vacuum the living room carpet to pick up all the threads I seem to drop everywhere.  I tell myself sewing is making me a tidier person.  

I'm reluctant to admit it but I've forgotten how to do some things.  I got myself into a real tizz when I couldn't remember how to do mitered corners.  I spent a couple of days feeling quite upset about it then I remembered YouTube tutorials.  I've become such a YouTube fan.

13 comments:

  1. You are doing really well by the sound of it Pauline. I do like the things you made and sure does help to have good light.
    Funny how we forget how certain things are done, youtube is fabulous to renew our memories on such matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to think how I'd manage without YouTube these days, Margaret.

      Delete
  2. I've warmed to the idea of your community living very much. I suppose there must be similar places in the UK but I'm not aware of any. As for You Tube? What did we do without it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love living in a community like this, Graham.
      I think my creativity would suffer without YouTube to give me ideas.

      Delete
  3. If we don't practice things regularly, we forget them. Youtube is indeed a savior helping us with its tutorials. I'm sure your contribution to the market stall is successful.
    Your community living seems quite satisfactory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyesight and fingers do not do sewing well these days. Putting on a button or mending a seam is my best effort. I used to do tons of crafts for the church fund raisers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've heard of any such form of community living here either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how people are helping each other, we need more of that everywhere in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lovely sewing is a credit to you, they look wonderful. It is good that everyone helps out where they can, as everyone has different age related problems. I know what you mean about good light for sewing..
    it certainly helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear that you are enjoying living in the village and participating in what you can. Well done for learning to cope with forgetting how to do things. you did a good job on the craft items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the consistent quality of your well-crafted posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So frustrating to forget things that you used to do so well, I am sure. I used to do embroidery and needlepoint...but have not for years as my eyes get too tired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Pauline, it has been quite a while since I visited and I see you have moved. It sounds like a good community you are living in. I like all your sewing projects very much. I use YouTube how-to videos all the time. They come in very useful. Happy Holiday Season to you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!