Saturday 5 August 2023

Awareness

I suppose most of us have friends or family who don't enjoy good health.  That number does increase as we age.  

The number of people with serious health problems that I meet from time to time has exploded since I started my voluntary job at the hospital, driving a courtesy car, mainly from the car parks to the main entrance.  I certainly appreciate how lucky I am.  I'm not overly happy about having osteoarthritis increasing it's grip on my aging body but I'm so grateful my knees, at least so far, have been spared.  I see a good cross section of the community on a weekly basis and I find it quite distressing that so many people, especially men, have dodgy knees.  If it's distressing for me to see people struggling to walk, I imagine how much worse it must be for them.  So many are waiting, in pain, for an operation but this post isn't a rant about the terrible state of our public health system although, goodness knows, it is appalling enough.  And, not one person I've met who is on a waiting list, ever complains about the doctors and nurses, just the system that our government insists is working well.  Bah!  They are constantly economical with the truth.

Where I'm going is to tell you about my newfound carefulness as a driver.  I don't think I've been a reckless driver but I don't think I've been a very mindful driver either.  Of course, when driving a hospital vehicle I'm naturally very careful.  But having met so many people who have driven themselves to the hospital for medical appointments who should obviously not have done so, has made me aware of how many people I could be sharing the road with at any one time who just aren't fit to be driving.  A young lady with a sick baby on her lap, those blokes with the dodgy knees they can barely move, the lady who told me she suffers from double vision but is having a good day.  Twice now I've been asked to park cars for people.  Should they be driving if they can't park their car?  

I haven't driven my car anywhere since my most recent day at the hospital. On my way home I got caught up in a police car chase and came so close to being hit. 

I have to back up a bit here.  I haven't mentioned my new hearing aids, have I?  I'm still adjusting to sounds I haven't been hearing for quite some time.  The tick tick of my car indicators, I swear my car is about to fall into pieces there are so many squeaks and rattles, birds on the roof sure do make a racket, that sort of thing. I now know one of the new sounds I least enjoy is police car sirens.  The roar of the speeding car (which was a getaway car in a jewelry story robbery) as it came out of nowhere (or so it seemed), passed on the inside of me and mounted the footpath was truly frightening.  Thank God three young boys who had been on the footpath leapt away quickly enough to avoid being hit.  I wonder if they know how lucky they were.  It was so close!

And then the police sirens, I don't know how many.  Six or seven I think.  They seemed to be inside my head.  I pulled over as soon as I could safely do so, took the aids out, put my head in my hands and cried.  And it takes a lot to frighten me that much.

I've been wearing the hearing aids again but needed a bit of down time before driving again.

The good news is the police caught the thieves quickly.  I'm amazed they could get so many cars on the road and give chase so fast, I'm wondering if there wasn't a tipoff.  That's me probably being over imaginative.

I left out a lovely exchange I had with a passenger last week.  It was a horrible day, a bitterly cold wind and shattered scowers.  Oops.  Couldn't resist.

Anyway, an elderly man got in the car half soaked from one of the showers and when I commented about the nasty showers he replied with a big smile, “No rain, no flowers."

 Soon it will be spring!

17 comments:

  1. Bless that man and what he said, it's so very true.
    Gosh, what a frightening experience you had, must have really shook you up.
    Many people shouldn't be driving as it's the same down here - it takes a lot of courage for someone to hand in their licence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret,
      I dread the day I'm no longer able to drive safely. That would be a huge loss of independence for me.

      Delete
  2. Those with knee problems will be given mainly one option - replacement surgery. Those with hearing loss will be mainly given one option- hearing device. That's what I am complaining about in my last post; no research to find a cure to problems , or at least, give more options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear what you're saying, Duta. I agree with you.

      Delete
  3. I never had a car of my own and by now haven't been driving at all since the previous century. An accident (not road-) gave me lasting neck-pain problems which made me not trust myself in complicated traffic situations any more. And as I didn't have a car of my own, I never got back to picking it up again - and probably never will. Traffic has just kept becoming increasingly intense over the years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my adult years I've lived in places where one couldn't get by without a car. You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful city that is easily accessible on foot. I miss FMTSO days and regularly seeing your photos.

      Delete
    2. Pauline, more or less every day of the week is still "MTSO" for me... ;)

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry how scary that police chase was for you! And remember, God gave us tears for a reason, they are a wonderful release and don't ever feel ashamed or weird for using them! Take care and keep safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle, Yes, it sure was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes hearing sirens always makes me jump but pulling over to the side of the road is the safest thing you can do. I feel myself getting older each day but I can say I'm blessed with my health compared to others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful of you to be a volunteer driver. There are many who shouldn't be on the road, but in the place where we live, if you have no car, you are going to have a very difficult time, so they keep driving long after they should stop.

    It's sad we've set areas up like that, i would love to see better public transport and ways to get around without so many cars.

    That was a very scary situation, i'm glad the thieves were caught and didn't kill anyone in their attempted getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. “No rain, no flowers." I love that, what a great attitude. Sorry for your stressful ride. Those sirens are hard to know where they are coming from, and seem to be right there. And then having to deal with the robbers car. What a scary, horrible situation. I am glad you were okay but can understand the need for quiet time. I admire you greatly for being a volunteer Pauline. People like you are golden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep! We do need to be vigilant when driving. These days I don't drive very far, or very often. Just to my local supermarket and newsagency which are in the same complex and not very far from where I live. This suits me fine. I've no desire to drive far afield nowadays.

    Take good care, Pauline. All the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Pauline what an awful experience on the road. I can understand how you felt. Yes when my hearing aids were new the indicators sounded loud and the rustle of plastic bags and the crunching sound when walking on forest tracks. However, your brain gets used to it and it goes back to normal after a while. If it doesn't go back to the suppliers and ask them to adjust them. when I had mine renewed recently the road noise was unbearable I had to have them adjusted. Good for you helping the people at the hospital. I know what you mean about wondering with whom you are sharing the road. Those who are 'passed it' but worse those under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds horrendous, Pauline. I'm catching up!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!