Thursday 7 September 2023

Big Boys' Toys

Today was a big day in the village - our roads were re-sealed.  The usual tranquil atmosphere replaced  with the noise of Big Boys' Toys.  Actually, the noise wasn't anywhere near as loud as I expected it to be.  Modern machines are vastly different from those of the past.  Even that annoying high pitched beep I associate with a reversing vehicle has been replaced with a lower pitched squawk.  That doesn't mean I didn't nearly let out a scream when I first heard it.  It sounds for all the world like a frog being eaten by a snake, a sound I haven't heard in 30 years.  Some things you never forget.

Here's a before photo of the road, when all was peaceful in the village:

The after photo will have to come later as there's another day of work to be done.

 
The invasion of the orange jackets

My neighbour watching the first machines arrive.

A moment of alarm.  I thought that machine was going dangerously close to Jack's garden.

This is the little bobcat that sounds like a frog swallowing snake when reversing.

 
The crew arriving in force to resurface the drive to my garage.  That's the corner of my little unit to the right.


I'm full of admiration for the crew that were here today, the skill of the machinery operators, the willingness of the manual workers, and the communication skills of their supervisor.  They are a cohesive, well oiled team.  I suspect they all rather enjoyed being watched at such close quarters by us old folk.  I caught a young man smile when he saw me point the camera in his direction, although he quickly hid it.

12 comments:

  1. Men and work for sure, and it's good to see them actually working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guys were amazing, Margaret. I was full of admiration.

      Delete
  2. It's good to see the 'orange jacket brigade' at work. I'm often quite amazed at how they manage to operate some very big machines with almost inch-perfect accuracy. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post a pic of the end result when the rain stops, Graham. The road-workers were lucky to get two fine days in a row to work their magic.

      Delete
  3. What a fine action sequence of photos showing this road work. The skid steer loader has revolutionized both construction and agriculture. It has become a major tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly have some impressive looking machinery, that's for sure. I really enjoyed seeing the operation up close.

      Delete
  4. I'm trying to work out where are you, I thought you lived in Waipu but the houses look more like the retirement village in Maungaturoto. hmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I should leave you to work it out! My daughter lives pretty close to Waipu and I have lived quite a number of years in Maungaturoto in the past but for the past 20 years or so I've lived near Maungakaramea and now in the retirement village there. It's a small village tucked away from the roads. Lovely rural outlook.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad they got after it and got it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure did go for it, messymimi. Our usually quiet village was buzzing.

      Delete
  6. Hello, I've come from Graham's blog to find his friend Pauline! He speaks so highly of you and your blog so I wanted to check it out.
    I'm always amazed how the workers on the huge machines can manipulate so carefully and not do any damage. Your neighborhood looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Ellen. Thanks for the visit. I've only been here in this village for 3 months but love it already.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!