Saturday 15 July 2023

Village life

I think I've adjusted to my new way of life in a retirement village.  I admit I had my doubts for a little while, I think I was a bit overcome by all the activity around me.  In new situations it's always been my way to sit back and observe for a while, to figure out how things work, assess the personalities.  I found that a bit difficult in this instance as, at the same time, I was also the focus of others' assessments, the new lady in the village.

It's a small village, around 40 residences, managed by a local community trust and the residents organise the social activities and take care of the community hall.  I'm still figuring out how some things work.  But I now feel confident that I'll find my place. 

I'm clinging to the results of a recent survey which found  the majority of people are happier as residents of senior living communities than they are living alone.  My little unit is on the outskirts so I have no neighbours at the back, a semi rural outlook which feels comfortable and familiar to me.

Happily, Alleycat is also a lot more settled.  She has some new habits, spends a lot of time under my bed or at my feet if I'm sitting.  She has not made new friends, still hisses if she sees another cat on the other side of the ranch slider.  She's been surprising me by somehow knowing when I wake in the night or in the morning.  Honestly, the minute I wake up she meows quietly by my bedside.  She must lay there listening to my breathing (snoring?).  She keeps talking to me until I speak to her, then re-settles.   There's a gentleness in our interactions that is new.  She's not as noisy as she used to be.  Belief me, she was a very noisy, very talkative cat before.

17 comments:

  1. I am happy for you that you are feeling a bit more settled in your Village. It takes a while to get to know how Village life works but I am sure you will be happier and feel secure with others around if and when you want company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie. I'm enjoying life here a bit more each day.

      Delete
  2. That has been a major adjustment for you and Alleycat, so I am glad you are both feeling more settled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, I knew I'd like it once I got used to it. To be honest I thought it'd take a bit longer than it has to settle in.

      Delete
  3. I don't know of any similar communities here, but glad to hear that you feel you're settling in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe these retirement villages are just a "Down Under" thing. I have no idea. This little village is different from most others I know of in that the community organises itself.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad things are going well. Your cat may be looking to you for reassurance that the new place is okay before she settles down. They are very attuned to our moods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, mimi. We are pretty much in tune with each other.

      Delete
  5. Your precious cat is looking after you, how wonderful is that, made me smile.
    Pleased you are settling in as it's a big move to make and you will always have someone to talk to if you wish to do so..

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is definitely more fond of me than she used to be, I think. Or perhaps just expressing it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that you are settling in okay and pussy too. She sounds like he is looking after you well. It is nice to have another blogger living in a village. I thought ours was small with about 150 residents but yours is even tinier. Some here have over 400. I think it's nicer having a small community. You can get to know most and chose your friends. It took us about six months to feel at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane, I found your comment very comforting.

      Delete
  8. This does sound like the perfect third act and having your cat buddy must make things much easier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about this move as the Third Act, too, Tabor. And, yes, having my housemate with me has made it easier, I think.

      Delete
  9. I wish you all the best in your new living arrangements, Pauline...and my same wishes go out, along with cuddles to Alleycat, I'm sure the sweet little lady will settle into her new home soon, and keep telling you her feelings about it all. Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, Alleycat is settling in now, she was just a bit slow to adjust, I think. My unit is very small but she now has a couple of "safe zones" she can run to when she feels threatened. And she hasn't hissed at another cat for over a week. Progress!

      Delete
  10. It looks like the perfect 'third act' for you and your loyal cat. Small village, small unit, but great satisfaction is going to fill your life. Enjoy it all, Pauline!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!