Friday 23 June 2023

Getting settled

I don't know if I'm settled yet but I'm getting there.  My new nest is small, there are only so many places where "things" can be put but some items are still missing.  It seems what is logical to me one day is not always logical another day.

 I'm getting used to having more people around me, hearing voices.  At least the voices I hear are real.  I'm not so sure about what my cat hears.  Obviously her hearing is a lot more acute than mine, she hears potential danger every time she goes near the door.

For days I kept her confined to the bathroom fearing she would know she's only a few hundred metres from our old home and make a break for pastures old.  Little did I know she was going to be so traumatised by the move that she would be too terrified to even step outside.

It's been two weeks and finally she will make a very brief foray to the outside world in the early evening.  I guess that's a quieter time of day.

She lives most of the time under my bed but will venture out to greet those she knows. 

A dog lives over on the other side of that truck in the distance.  She's forgotten that once she was used to hearing dogs on a regular basis.

I suspect she is missing her former companion, Korbi, who was actually my grand-daughter's cat that I inherited when she went away to university.  I am only permitted one cat here in the retirement village so Korbi has gone to live with my daughter.  He has settled in a bit quicker than Alleycat has but then again he was always a laid back, friendly cat and my miss is neither of those.

We'll settle in soon.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful cat, hope all goes well with it and you sound as if you are settling in...take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. The cat and I will get there. I just have to overcome my tendency to be a hermit and she just has to get to feel safe.

      Delete
  2. I'm familiar with the town you live in, wont' say where but I think I know where this is, hope you're settling in well, I've drive past the area a few times over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you probably do know where I live, Amy, after all the years you spent in the north.

      Delete
  3. It's good to see you're both settling in.......however slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Graham, it is a slow process but I guess there's no hurry.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear from you, i hope both of you are learning to enjoy this new place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are, mimi. It's very different for both of us but we will adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It wont take long for you to feel at home. Not sure about the cat, hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It can be hard for pets sometimes, but I hope your little kitty soon settles into her new home - as I hope you do too :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!