Monday 15 May 2023

Lazy dog whistling

I must have been under a rock for quite a while I think.  More and more often I have no idea what they are talking about when I listen to the radio, even The News.

A month or so ago I had to ask Mr Google what a white cismale was.  It took a while because I thought the cis and male were separate words.  Once I found out what it meant I thought it was just some modern gobblygook the woke brigade had made up but no, the Latin prefix cis means “on the same side of.”  So cismale is a male who was born male and is still "on the same side" ie still identifies as male.  Really, we need a word for that??

From the lips of same woman who taught me that lesson about gender identity, comes lazy, dog whistling.  If you know all about it, don't read further. 

I heard it as lazy dog whistling as in lazy dog but no it was the dog whistling that was said to be lazy.  Do you know about this?

I think the best explanation was in the Urban Dictionary.  “A surreptitious inclusion of code words or phrases that will be heard by some of those listening, while not disturbing the other listeners, who may not appreciate the hidden message(s)." Like as a dog whistle is only heard by dogs.

I still don't understand why that woman applied that term to the situation she was talking about.  But then I'm not a politician and would not appreciate whatever the hidden message was meant to be.

Anyway, while I was down that rabbit hole reading about whistling (to dogs and otherwise) I came across something I'd never heard of before.  Maybe the politician who is fond of accusing others of dog whistling should remember this:

"Whistling at a funeral or formal event would be rude. Doing it while stacking hay bales or fixing a car probably isn't. However, no matter the context, whistling is always extremely annoying to anyone within hearing distance of the one who is doing it."   I'd say the same applies to dog whistling.

10 comments:

  1. Good grief, never heard of either so like you looked it up further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if years ago that was what we might have called "veiled messages"? I wonder who sits around and comes up with these expressions?

      Delete
  2. Love your conclusion at the end! And I hadn't heard either expression before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you have had me for company down that rabbit hole - so much of what is said today makes no logical sense to me and I start to feel sadly old-fashioned and out of date.
    I'd like to say though that I don't generally find whistling annoying as it usually sounds happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not going down those rabbit holes on my own, Margaret. I've only ever heard one person who could whistle so well it was a pleasure to hear. Although I admit I was very proud of myself when I could whistle loud enough for the dogs to hear!

      Delete
  4. I used to spend time during my teens learning tp whisle. Now, I'm indifferent to it; don't find it annoying though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I wanted to learn to whistle was to work the farm dogs, Duta. With one exception I've always found whistling quite annoying.

      Delete
  5. Dog whistling, in that context, would be annoying.

    My father, and my husband, whistle beautifully, carrying a tune so well it's a joy to hear. Most other people, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must be living in a hole, too! The way the world is going...humans are going...I think I'll remain here...

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!