Thursday 18 May 2023

No, I didn't call

Friday of last week.  Around 4.30 pm.  There I was sitting quietly crocheting, no radio or TV on as I was concentrating on a new pattern.  I'd already repeated a few rows more than once as I'd get to the end of a row and not have the right number of stitches.  Isn't it so annoying when you know you've made a mistake somewhere, somehow but have no idea how or where it happened?

My door that faces the road was open but I hadn't heard a vehicle stop outside.  Lost in my own crocheting world I must have been.

There was a very loud knock on the door at the same time as a man's voice called out - very loudly - "Are you here, Pauline."  I called that yes I'm here.  Coming.  By the time I got to the kitchen there was a very large man, in a uniform, half way through the kitchen coming towards my voice.  Thinking back on it, the look on my face must have been comical.  Through the kitchen windown I saw an ambulance sitting outside the window.  This man I didn't know was calling me by name asking had I called?  I was thinking called what.  Oh, an ambulance.  No, I finally managed to reply, I had not.  

The ambulance officer then said my neighbour's name and I directed him to the right house.  As he was running back to the vehicle I noticed there was a driver in the vehicle also but the sun was shining on the windscreen and I couldn't see a face although I got the impression it was a young female.

My neighbour is now home again after a couple of nights in hospital getting him sorted.  He's fine.

But the mystery remains how did that ambulance officer know my name?  The only explanation is that the driver must have known me or at least have known my name and that I lived in this house.  Trouble is, I don't think I know anyone who is an ambulance officer. 

A friend reminded me that I'd met a lot of people in my work at the lodge, and in previous jobs and that I'd lived in this particular area for a long time and in the north for a very long time.  True, but not many of those people would know where I live.  It's a mystery.

Wonder if I'll ever find out.

For my own distraction, here's a little scene that took my eye when I was at the football on Saturday. I was quite a distance away but was taken by the way the older boys were interacting with the little girl.  I'm out of the habit of taking my camera with me.  I like to only take what can fit in my pockets as I (always seem to) need an umbrella and also have both hands free for applauding good play. 

12 comments:

  1. Lovely photo and an unusual story. You are better known than you thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering the population of this little town is around 250 it's not too hard being well known in these parts, Diane.

      Delete
  2. That was quite a spooky experience you had there, but I'm glad it all worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it more confusing than anything, Margaret. I wouldn't want to rely on me in an emergency these days.

      Delete
  3. It sounds both slightly disconcerting and somehow reassuring at the same time. I hope your crotchet rhythm wasn't thrown off too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, David. It did take me a while to settle back down to concentrating on my pattern.

      Delete
  4. oh that is strange but very nice that they called on you to check you were ok. I've been doing alot of crochet too now that it's winter, I'm working on a vest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you post a photo of the finished vest. I'm doing a beret for my daughter at the moment and am thinking about a shawl next, Amy.

      Delete
  5. Well that's a wonder, as in wondering he knew your name. Maybe the caller for the ambulance said the lady next doors name is Pauline!
    As you say, you may never find out.
    I crochet sometimes, and agree it's annoying if you end up with more stitches/trebles/etc than you should have especially if you are crocheting a very wide piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is certainly a mystery and a bit of a shock too after a nice quiet afternoon enjoying your crochet. I once had a mystery checkout person ask me if I had enjoyed my trip away and he even knew where we had been but for the life of me I didn't remember him or having even spoken to him before and haven't seen him since. Some things remain unanswered!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was surprised the other day, too. An unexpected visitor...someone I didn't know knew where I lived. It was a most pleasant surprise, though...out of the blue. She is a lass who works at the local supermarket. She and I always have a chat. She is a gentle soul. She arrived with a gift for me...a book. "Daisy Jones & The Six". I've been raving on about how much I loved the series which streams on Amazon. And the lass gave me the book upon which the series is based. I love the book, too. Both series and book, I highly recommend. Elvis' grand-daughter, Riley Keogh stars in the series...and she is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe the driver looked up your name for the "rescue". I am sure that added an extra bit to your day.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!