Saturday 4 March 2023

Busy hands

I've turned into my mother.  It's been a slow process.  I first noticed when I had young children and would hear my mother when I reprimanded them for something.  I couldn't believe I was repeating some of the absolutely ridiculous things she used to say.  Like "money doesn't grow on trees" or "turn off that light, this is not a lighthouse".  All that stuff about crossing bridges and elbows on tables.

Over the years I thought I'd grown more like my father with our shared impatience with traffic lights, the finger tap on the steering wheel when they are too slow to change to green. The way I don't do anything quietly.

The Dad traits are still there but recently it's been the Mum genes that are dominating.  I now don't like my hands to be idle and that's very much a Mum thing.  I haven't perfected the art of reading the paper at the same time as knitting but I can manage it while watching TV.

After my younger son returned to Brasil, I felt quite sad and needed a distraction.  While trawling YouTube looking for ideas for a sewing project I stumbled across a crochet tutorial.  Wondering if I could remember how to crochet after not having done any since my teens, I fished out some wool and had a go.  That bit was easy, but when I went looking for a pattern I couldn't remember how to read one.  All those double crochets, half trebles, etc were just gobbledygook.  So I entered the world of YouTube tutorials.

I'm still not much the wiser when it comes to pattern reading but I don't need to be.  A few minutes on YouTube and I'll find someone to show me.  Here's my first completed project.  I think (I hope) it's a good size for a baby blanket.


How Mum would have love that variegated wool.

I've now started on my second project which will be more a cot blanket size.  In the pic the wool looks a lot darker than it actually is.  It's more a green grey and I added in the cream to lighten it.  There's a long way to go, it will keep my hands busy for quite a while I think.


 

11 comments:

  1. Wow. Both are beautiful. I wish I had the motivation, I also used to crochet but have not done it for years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how quickly I remembered how to do it, Tabor, once I had the wool and hook in my hand.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome Pauline. I love that variegated wool as well, and think it is great you are finding something to keep busy with.
    I had to laugh about you becoming your mother though, as I am just the same! I wonder if my daughter ever thinks about that LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I daresay your daughter has heard herself repeating something you said somewhere along the line. I know both mine have commented to me that they sometimes hear me when they say something.

      Delete
  3. You did well with you tube. Love the colours. Well done busy hands. I see and hear my mother in me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those purple colours. My mum was always knitting or embroidering while watching TV. Myself I had a brief period of knitting in my twenties, but because of neck/arm problems quit and never picked it up again later. (She on the other hand never used a computer...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done very well with your crochet, always wonderful to have something to do with our hands when necessary. I too crochet but have to stop myself as I get too many items mainly blankets. This weekend I gave heaps away to family, that should keep them warm for winter.
    Like the colours you have done yours in.
    I find I say things that my late mother and father said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't we all turn into our parents eventually? I hate it, but there's no getting away from it, I recognise myself doing it.
    Lovely crocheting, lovely colours. It's decades since I last did any needlework, I prefer reading. Besides, there are no longer any babies to provide for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was hopeless at crochet so I gave up trying many years ago. My Nana tried her best to show me how, but I was useless! :)

    I hope your spirits have lifted, Pauline...keep smiling. Enjoy the Easter weekend...take good care. Best wishes from across The Ditch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope all is well with you over there, Pauline. You've been quiet for quite some time. Take good care...best thoughts and wishes from across The Ditch. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!