Monday 24 April 2023

Back to Sweetwaters

My sister, Clare is the glue in our family since Mum and Dad passed away.  She's the one who finds the lovely places where we can all stay together, gathers us all from our far flung homes, plans the menu, delegates tasks (like who cooks which meal).  And does it all quietly, without fuss.  She is lovelier than lovely.

This year five brothers, four sisters and several spouses returned to Sweetwater Cottage in the rainforest at Maleny, about 90 kms north of Brisbane.  It's a beautiful place, secluded and peaceful.


  

 The two photos above are from Sweestwater Cottages website

Last winter we gathered around the fire, this year the weather was more conducive to outside entertaining and the large under cover table was the perfect size for us all.  Don't know how I managed to get a photo with no-one sitting at it.

 

With a family as large as ours there are bound to be personality clashes and although we siblings learned long ago to get along, one of the in-laws rubs most of us up the wrong way.  It had to happen sooner or later.  Finally one of us had enough of being antagonized and words were spoken which would have been best left unsaid.  We are all getting on a bit in years, we span 22 years from 78 to 56 and I guess some, like me, have grown a bit impatient with our passing years. Shame, but it is what it is.

Despite the unpleasant scene we had a lovely two days.  It's ages since I spent any time with my brother who lives in Perth.  I had quite forgotten what a wonderful sense of humour he has.  He reminds me of our grandfather which is the nicest thing I could say about any man.  I'm concerned about the health of two of my brothers.  It's to be expected, I guess.  As I said, we are all getting older. 

15 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have a get together even though there was some conflict, happens it seems. Being an only child/adult/aged I don't have get togethers.
    Maleny is a very nice place up in the hills. Seems you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it all enormously. I hope one day all 11 of us can manage to be in the same place at the same time. Yes, Maleny is indeed a very nice place.

      Delete
  2. It's difficult to dodge family conflicts at times. We all have them, or have had them (there is only me left so I only have conflicts with me!) :)

    It's a lovely part of Qld up there where you were, Pauline. I'm sure the majority of your memories of your recent stay are pleasant ones.

    It's good to have you back on the scene...I was getting a bit concerned over your absence. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. Yes, I have many happy memories of time spent with my siblings. They are a good bunch. Love them to bits.

      Delete
  3. You had a lovely setting for your family reunion. Sorry about the conflict, and hope it cleared the air. Always good to reconnect with family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nine siblings - how wonderful! Clare sounds like such a remarkable woman and sister! I'm glad you had lovely two days at Maleny and enjoyed the get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Duta, As you said, Clare is remarkable. She is third youngest but she is the real matriarch of the family. It helps that she has good organisational skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. there comes a time when words need to be spoken, perhaps not heated ones, but open ones. Kindly, if that is at all possible. I have given up taking it all lying down for the sake of peace, life is too short.

    What a lovely cottage, I'd love to spend time exploring it and the area around it and if I had as many siblings as you (I have none) I'd enjoy it even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love the flowering shrubs, Friko. Such vibrant, glorious colours.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a lovely time despite the spot of unhappiness. Sometimes things have to be brought out in the open. People can only take so much....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, You're right, words were bound to be spoken sooner or later. As Friko said you can take it lying down for the sake of peace, for only so long.

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for a family get together and it sounds like you all come from near and far. It looks a nice place to stay. I love the Maleny area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved the Maleny area, Diane. There are good bush walks where we stayed, abundant bird life.

      Delete
  9. I have that sort of relationship with some family members, sadly I have had to limit my time and energy with them, I guess it's good to be able to prevent words being said, but sometimes people need to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a joy (for the most part). I do hope all 11 of you can get together at some point (and maybe the one spouse will take a hint and have something else to do that weekend).

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!