Monday 20 February 2023

Let me tell you a story

Often when there are catastrophic events true heroes emerge.  Cyclone Gabrielle gave me Fred.

Fred it not his real name, I don't think I should use his real name as I am just repeating a story I was told.  I do not know Fred, probably never will but I don't think I will forget his heroic act during the cyclone.

Fred is a volunteer fireman. As well as fighting fires, our volunteer fire-persons (political correctness has finally caught up with me) attend medical incidents, motor vehicle accidents, other requests for help like cats stuck up trees and severe weather events.

Volunteer firefighters make up 85% of New Zealand's Fire and Emergency's front-line workforce and respond to emergencies across 95% of NZ.  So, as the cyclone raged, countless volunteers were out there doing everything they could to keep us safe.  There are stories of firefighters who returned to their own homes after the storm only to find terrible damage to their own property.  The families of our volunteers support their loved ones by often coping alone during difficult times.

Two volunteer firefighters lost their lives during the storm, an awful reminder of the risks our volunteers take to protect and support others.

I know our local brigade was called upon to assist with several emergencies during the storm. In the very early hours, I can't remember if it was the first or second night of wild weather, they were called again to assist with evacuating people from at flood risk homes in Dargaville, on the west coast.  Fred and his team came to the rescue of a frail, elderly couple who they helped to the fire engine through the raging storm.  However, the lady couldn't climb the high step up into the engine.  What to do?  Fred had the solution.  Without hesitation he lay himself face down in the mud and flood water and told the old lady to step up onto his back to reach the step.

While they were rescuing people Gabrielle had wreaked havoc on all the roads in and out of Dargaville and there was no way home.  Using a roundabout route and local knowledge, they cleared the road in front of them of fallen trees and mud-slides as they slowly made their way back.

From my house I can see the back of the fire brigade building which gave shelter to those who needed it.  They had a generator and I liked being able to see their light shining through the storm when everything else was in blackness. Mind you, most of the time I couldn't see it through the rain but I knew it was there and it gave me comfort.  

And when the weather calmed down those volunteers were out knocking on doors, checking that everyone was OK.

I salute you, Fred and all other fire-fighters.

I weathered the storm quite well.  Lost a few branches off trees and everything in the deep freeze after 5 days without power but all my family are safe.

I took this photo yesterday of the Waipu Rivermouth, on the east coast.  Hard to believe Mother Nature could be so vicious when you see her like this.  




13 comments:

  1. The fire fighters and emergency medical personnel are true heroes. I'm glad you and your family are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, messymimi. We are in total agreement.

      Delete
  2. You've been in my thoughts, Pauline. I was hoping all was well with you...it's been a worrying time for you over that way.

    People like Fred certainly do deserve our praise, admiration and gratitude.

    Keep taking good care. I'm glad you're okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, My time in North Queensland wasn't wasted, I was well prepared knew what to expect. I weathered the storm well. Cheers.

      Delete
  3. Firefighters are trained for their mission. And yet, they deserve all the gratitude people can offer. Mother Nature can, indeed, be very furious, so we are no longer deceived by peaceful pictures like the one above. We know, we have to be on the alert. Climate Change is at the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is too, Duta. Our local firefighters are all unpaid volunteers, they expect nothing but deserve so much. Our community had a thank you day yesterday for community members to express their gratitude for everything they do for us.

      Delete
  4. Hi Duta, Yes, we are going to have to learn to face more of these storms I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognize that view, I can see the historical cemetery from here, love that place. Yes our firemen and women are invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the fire fighters are so brave and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing Diane. We don't have any other emergency service in our area, no police, ambulance, doctors, etc. They are our first responders in just about every emergency.

      Delete
  7. Without firefighters to sort out so many of out emergencies and help avert even greater tragedies we would be in a sorry state. The same goes in different ways for so many medics and police. Unfortunately in the UK some of the bad pennies are getting all the publicity and tarnishing the professions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, I can't imagine how my community would work with our local fire brigade.

      Delete
  8. Glad you and your family are all safe. What a wonderful story about Fred - men like that truly are the real heros of society today. Our volunteers do so much work, mostly unthanked, and our world is better because of them (my nephew is a volunteer fireman, and I see what he has to put up with). I see I am a bit tardy reading your blog, so hope this latest storm hasn't caused you any problems.
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!