Wednesday 30 December 2020

Kite surfing

There are so many different summer sports involving a board and a sail or a kite I'm not sure of the correct title of each.  Or it might be that different people use different titles.  Either way I had been watching a lone figure having what looked to be a wonderful time riding his board, harnessing the wind through a parachute type kite, shooting over the waves, propelled along at speed.  I call it kite surfing.

He'd been whipping back and forth across the bay, and then I lost sight of him.  A little while later he appeared trudging up the beach his kite/sail still flapping in the wind.  He stopped just short of where we were gathered to deflate the kite completely.

And then he trudged on past us.  Maybe I was imagining it but he looked tired but happy to me.


The weather has been sunny but quite windy, perfect for his particular sport.

 I'm linking to Betty's My Corner of the World.

 

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It certainly looks exhilarating, Diane. And there is an element of danger being so far off shore, there'd have to be a lot of self confidence.

      Delete
  2. I used to watch them at Mt Maunganui and never quite knew what the correct term was LOL. Kite surfing sums it up really well. They are amazing to watch in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went through several names for it before we came up with kite surfing, Margaret. They certainly are terrific to watch.

      Delete
  3. It must be very exhilarating as well as requiring great strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Graham. There are quite a few skills involved.

      Delete
  4. Makes me want to interview him about his day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd probably need an interpreter, Tabor. I've been watching America's Cup sailing and half of what the commentators say has to be interpreted to everyday language.

      Delete
  5. I have watched this and was amazed and I must admit a little disappointed that they didn't get tangled up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adrian, I believe when a kitesurfer has a mishap it's called a "kitemare". True.

      Delete
  6. While kite surfing looks like great fun, it takes great strength and coordination. Those kites can pull really hard, so I am not surprised he looked tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was airborne a few times, no wonder they sometimes lose their boards. It must take a lot of strength to hang on and work the sail at the same time.

      Delete
  7. I always enjoy watching these watery acrobats!

    A fantastic addition to 'My Corner of the World' this week! May the new year bring you great things to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watery acrobats is a perfect description, Betty, Happy New Year to you and yours.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like fun, i wish i could try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 20 years ago I would have been keen to give it a go, mimi. I'm a bit past it now.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!