Sunday 27 December 2020

Just add a child

There was a child in the house, just in time for Christmas!  My grandson arrived, oh and his parents too, but it's the child that had been the missing ingredient.  

I tell him Santa Claus was granted an exemption to come to NZ and he did try to look like he believed all that nonsense to keep me happy.  

He's a thoughtful child and I think he realizes how lucky we are to be able to relax with our loved ones, to be able to gather freely, go wherever we please, hug whomever we please.

Nothing better than being woken on Christmas Day to a hug from a young one before you've even combed your hair.  To be fair it does look like he's more of a hugee but he wasn't complaining.


We saw most of the family on Christmas Day but when there's a farmer in the family you accept sometimes other things take priority.  Water pump problems in summer can't be put off to another day.  Luckily a temporary fix was possible and it was a full muster on Boxing Day.

A catch up with the missing sibling, my younger son in Brasil.  We all miss him so much at times like this.  How we'd love to have his little family with us one day.

The cooks allowed a brief respite from kitchen duties to say hello to their brother.

Cricket on the lawn before lunch.

Uninterested in cricket, my great granddaughter, Lexis has some quiet time in the garden clutching on to her favourite gift, a toy guitar.

 Cricket at the beach after lunch.

Time to strike a pose and point the toes for family photos.

And for little Lexis to learn about the annual silly photo.

I love Christmas.  I wonder what the year between this one and the next will bring.  My prayer is I will get to meet my 8 month old Brazillian grand-daughter and get to hug my younger son again.

This is my favourite Christmas photo.  My younger daughter playing a happy tune on Lexis' toy guitar.  Oops, I should have cropped out that pair of feet.  I think they belong to Rose, my grandson's girlfriend.


15 comments:

  1. Looks as if it was all how it should be. Good to see so many happy people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having happy family around is what makes me happy, Adrian. And that's how I think it should be, too.

      Delete
  2. Looks like it was a wonderful Christmas - such happy photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully my children and grandchildren enjoy each other's company, Margaret. That makes for happy get togethers!

      Delete
  3. I have now spent 1½ mugs of coffee and two mince pies on this and your last post. Trying to get everything straight in my head has been a tiny bit hard. Firstly I couldn't (can't?) work out where you are. On the 23rd you were at home getting provisions for Christmas (and I was reminded of my first ever sighting of the Uppity Downities as we came around the corner and you stopped for me to take a photo). So I assumed as there were so many gathered together that you are at The Big House. However I don't recognise any of it from the photos. Then you were at the beach so I thought you may all have been at J's because there's a beach not far away but that's obviously a bay with a sandy beach and Taranaki is, if I recall correctly, dark volcanic sand straight out to sea. The beach looks more West coast. So I am now truly bemused.

    Anyway I had a good time working out who was whom and how much everyone has changed in the 4 years (yes it was only 2016) since I was last there.

    I'm glad that you had a great day. There's a snail mail on the way (or will be when the post starts up again).

    PS I see that you, too, have started moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time has been marching on, hasn't it, Graham. The girls have changed so much. We were at Leone's at Ruakaka and that's where the beach is. I think we were headed there one day but a big black cloud chased us away. I've been over there again today but there are too many holiday makers there now.

      Delete
    2. Pauline, we went to Ruakaka beach in 2011 and 2012. You chatted to two ladies on horseback on the first occasion and there was a chap standing on the dunes high above us with his arms folded looking out to sea "The Master of All He Surveyed".

      Delete
  4. Those of us who are unable to get together with anyone beyond our own four walls are a tad envious of this kind of family gathering. New Zealand has done well dealing with COVID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know how lucky we are, David. I heard today of new research about to be released into why our first lockdown was so successful. Why everyone complied with the very strict rules imposed on us at the start of it all. I suspect it will tell us we had the best leaders in the world which is pure BS.

      Delete
  5. Looks unreal to me... Summer, and all those people gathered in one place... :o Glad you had a good time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine a Christmas without my family, Monica. We all miss the son who is in Brasil and I really feel for those who are separated from all their loved ones.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful time! Yes, farmers have to work Christmas. So do doctors, Grandpa had to head to the hospital to catch a baby many times on holidays. My hat is off to those who keep the world moving at such times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farmer is still battling his water problems, it's hard to get anything fixed at this time of year but they have to battle on. I salute those who keep things going at this time of year, too, mimi. One of my grand-daughters had to leave early on Boxing Day to go to work, too. I was so proud of her doing that with a smile on her face!

      Delete
  7. I hope you had a good day there, I can see the resemblance between you and your grandson, is that Langs Beach I see there in the photo? We love that beach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy, That is Ruakaka Beach, down the refinery end, there are always too many people at the surf club end for my liking.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!