Thursday 5 November 2020

Wet wood

One of the big differences I notice living in the township is that bad weather is not very noticeable.  I guess it is the protection provided by neighbouring houses and trees.  The weather is the same but it feels very different here - milder.  

There was a heavy rain warning out for today, there has been a fair bit of gentle rain, maybe the heavy stuff fell elsewhere.  My fence is one of the indicators I have of how much rain there has been.


The fence before heavy rain

The first sign this morning that the rain had started overnight


A huge collection of pallets was dropped off in the paddock on the other side of the house.  It had me puzzled for a while until I remembered there is to be a fireworks display tomorrow night for Guy Fawkes night, I guess that will be the bonfire.  I associate a bonfire with old fallen trees pushed to a reasonably accessible spot, maybe a few offcuts of timber and the odd piece of unwanted furniture.  The townie version looks quite different but I daresay it will all look the same once it is burning.  I hope the sun comes out to dry the stack out tomorrow or the local volunteer fire brigade who are putting on the fireworks display will have to show us a few tricks.

I do realize there's no logic in having a celebration to commemorate a bloke who tried to blow up the British parliament in the umpteenth century, there never was but that didn't stop us from loving bonfire night when we were kids, although we never had a bonfire as lighting big fires in November in Queensland would have been asking for trouble.   

A box of matches did the trick for us and a few boy scout type kids would light a small fire, not too big and not too many because we had a healthy respect for Mr Rafter, known to all as the boss of our venue.  And it was the venue that was the major attraction.  All the kids gathered on the wide expanse of lawn in the front of the local cemetery and the reflections of the fireworks on the headstones were spectacular.  I'm so thankful I was a child when I was and where I was.

(The date was moved to avoid bushfire season to May, Queen Victoria's birthday and was known by different names, then it sort of fizzled out in Queensland.)  The fizzle is a bit slower here, but they are becoming a thing of the past.  Only one major city in New Zealand is having a free public fireworks display this year.

I know one day fireworks will more than likely be banned as there are too many idiots torturing animals and setting fire to things (the world needs more Mr Rafters) and sadly, I agree that is what should happen.  

I feel sad that the times I grew up in are long gone when, generally, people (even children) could be trusted not to be total morons when it came to consideration of others.  For me it was always about getting together with my brothers and sisters and our mates for a bit of fun and learning a bit about fire safety along the way.  It was a big deal when we graduated from our own back yard with Mum and Dad to the cemetery.  We knew not to burn up too much of the lawn, and to pick up what we could find of the burnt out crackers or we wouldn't be allowed back the next year.  Consequences.

19 comments:

  1. And you missed out throwing Bangers and shooting Roman Candles at folk. I can still remember the burnt fingers.
    Blowing Parliament up doesn't seem such a bad idea from where I'm sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't miss out on much, Adrian. I remember one year a boy got hurt, can still remember his name while most of the others are long forgotten.

      Delete
  2. We always used to have a big bonfire at the bottom of the garden as a child and half the village used to join us. We used to run a round with sparklers, but never had big bangs even them because of the animals. Stay safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I think the majority of fireworks here now are community events. Here's hoping the rain holds off!

      Delete
  3. I do like seeing your fence as a rain gage. Hope you enjoy Guy Fawkes night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fence does make a good rain gauge actually. It changes colour completely when it is really wet.

      Delete
  4. My uncle always had a bonfire when I was growing up and we would make a guy to sit on top. I loved watching the firework displays but always hated the boys letting off crackers. Now I just wonder why it is that we celebrate what was basically an act of terrorism in another country in another century. I must be a party pooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think our fireworks night these days has anything to do with history, except for originally providing us with a date to enjoy the display.

      Delete
  5. The fireworks are illegal here unless they are the professional ones, but that doesn't stop most people. It is sad when a few renegades ruin the fun for all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It won't be long and it will be the same here, I think, mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on idiots and guy fawkes, there are just so many these days sadly. As for the rain, get ready for more, the forecast is for heavy rain for the next 3-4 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain held off, Amy, and still hasn't arrived. You wouldn't think there was any on the radar looking at the sky this morning.

      Delete
  8. I've never understood why New Zealand celebrated Guy Fawkes and I have always preferred the official firework displays we used to have in Stornoway at New Year. Financial cuts saw the demise of that. There are few children in my and the next townships so no fireworks just as there was ho guising. I hope that there will be photos of your display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maungakaramea is a surprisingly lively little community, Graham. There were plenty of kids out last night having a whale of a time.

      Delete
  9. It's a bit old fashioned having a bonfire on Guy Fawkes Day and a fire hazard.Surely the government could find a New Zealand Day to celebrate with fireworks. Yes the old days were simpler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good time of year to have fireworks here, Di. It's still green with lots of rain around. There's talk of moving it to Matariki, 13 July, the Maori New Year.

      Delete
  10. Many historic holidays have questionable issues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They sure do, Tabor. But I'd guess very few of the children who attended this display had the faintest idea of the origin of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm only now catching up with my fellow bloggers...I've been out of action...blame it on Telstra!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!