Saturday 7 November 2020

Cracker night

All the debate about Guy Fawkes/Bonfire/fireworks night aside who doesn't enjoy a good fireworks display?  As well as being spectacular to look at, they give an opportunity for communities and families to come together to have some fun.

Our local fire brigade is manned by volunteers who give their time to keep our community safe.  Last night they gave even more time to organise a fireworks display and I suspect inspired a few firefighters of the future.  While we waited for darkness to come they gave rides to the children in the firetruck, lights flashing, sirens blasting.  

No admittance charge although they accepted gold coin donations which in our currency is one or two dollars.   It was an extremely generous gift to the community.


 The spectators gathering on the other side of my fence.
 
At the Sports Club my daughter-in-law and two of my grand-daughters were hard at work in the kitchen preparing takeaways.


 
The firemen were on duty throughout the evening manning the hoses just in case there was a stray spark.  It was a warm, still evening so perfect conditions for it.

 Reflections in my bedroom window

This is a lively little community and from where I am situated I get to see or hear most of what is happening around me.  Two days a week I delight in the sound of pre-school children playing not far away at the Play Centre.  I often hear excited cheering from the small three teacher primary school, can usually tell when it's lunch time.  It's far enough away that I can hear the childrens' voices (a sound I love) but not be disturbed or distracted by them. All the sporting events happen at the Sports Grounds more or less next door to me.  This morning it's cricket.  Shame about the burnt out remains for the bonfire but it will grow back.

 

12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the firework shots. I suspect I ought to have had a reference image for my weedy little pops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to get a few decent shots, most of the time I was too enthralled to remember the camera.

      Delete
  2. Yes, fireworks are fun. We get to see them only on the 4th of July. No celebrations for Guy Fawkes night. Perhaps we should take up this celebration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want a peaceful life I wouldn't repeat that idea if I were you. lol Despite so many really loving them, I think there are even more people who hate them.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like an ideal location, and i would enjoy fireworks that close to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the best seat in town, messymimi and loved every minute of it.

      Delete
  4. Oh! How we looked forward to Guy Fawkes Night when we were kids....and how we enjoyed the night! My brother and I would race home from school to build our bonfire and make our Guy. Mum would prepare loads of tasty treats...and as soon as darkness fell...the fun began! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful memories, huh, Lee. We were lucky to be children in those times.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you have found yourself the ideal home. Love your fireworks photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me a while to settle in, Margaret but I'm now quite happy being a townie.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was fun to read. I agree about the fireworks, for whatever occasion (we don’t get to have Guy Fawkes Day over here of course) ... but they make me happy and sometimes (often these days) we need every happy-making thing we can get. ..... Your community sounds wonderful. Our apartment is near a small playground and we enjoy the sounds of children playing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!