Sunday 12 July 2020

Since I last posted

A lot has happened since I last posted on  26 June.  I moved house and believe me, it doesn't get any easier as you get older.

It was the sensible thing to do but some days I had to search for a silver lining.  And one of the ways I found it was in dropping in to a favourite op shop in Dargaville where the staff are always warm and welcoming and so appreciative of anything you have to offer them.  In downsizing, I found parting with my stash of materials the hardest.  I accept I haven't sewn anything in ages (not that I parted with my sewing machine, that would be one step too far just yet) and that I can't sit in the sewing position for long.  But to see the delight my bits of material brought to two customers who just happened to be in the shop at the time I unloaded, well, that made it almost worth while.  And when I returned a week later with more 'stuff' every last piece had gone and I hope they bring pleasure to whoever took them home.

Dargaville seemed determined to cheer me up.  On the three occasion I delivered a carload of goods to the op shop, The Northern Wairoa River, affectionately known as the upside down river because the mud usually appears on the top of the water, was as its very best.  On still winter days after there has been a frost the river takes on a beauty all of its own.  I don't think I've ever experienced it like that on three consecutive visits.

Looking upriver towards the hills of home as a couple of logs lazily drift past on the outgoing tide.  Those will still be my hills of home, I've only moved from the farm into the little nearby village.  Below is an aerial view I found online of the village.  There is supposed to be a population of around 1,000 but I think that must include the surrounding area.  The little school had just 63 students last year.  My little house is just out of the shot.


A few more photos from Dargaville.

Not much left of this old jetty, now surrounded by rushes

A newer little jetty, a bit further along the riverbank



Looking south towards the Kaipara Harbour

10 comments:

  1. I wish you happiness in your new home.

    The end of an era. It was good to see the Uppity Downities in your aerial picture but, if I remember correctly, you can't actually see them from the ground by the petrol station anyway. Please tell me you can see them from your cottage.

    I'm glad that the move wasn't too painful although I have read that moving house is one of the three most traumatic things that happens in our lives in the normal course of events.

    You could join the croquet club! I know people playing who are a lot older than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I'm not sure, on re-reading it, that that last sentence came out the way it was supposed to given that you are younger than I am.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the laugh, Graham. Of course, I knew you didn't intend to be tactless. The patch of water and the mountains you can see in the photo are the Whangarei Harbour and Whangarei Heads. But, no, I can't see the Uppity Downities from the house although there is a very nice bush covered hill.

      Delete
  2. Oh...that looks to be such a beautiful, peaceful area, Pauline. I am sure you will be very happy there.

    Moving...relocating...is a pain in the proverbial...particularly as we grow older...but by the looks of those surrounds your decision has been a really worthwhile one.

    I wish you all the happiness in your new home turf. :)

    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lee. Yes, this is a very quiet, lovely little village.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place. Hope your new home brings you much joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, messymimi. It's strange living surrounded by houses but I'm getting used to it.

      Delete
  5. Wishing you all the best as you settle into your new home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Good wishes are always appreciated. :)

      Delete
  6. Wishing you the best in your new home. We just moved this past January to our current place. It's only an hour further north but we are loving it. I totally understand the feeling about moving, I'm glad we did but I wouldn't like to do it again anytime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!