Wednesday 15 July 2020

Becoming familiar

I feel like an old cat lady saying this but the cats and I are slowly settling in.  I think living in town is even stranger for them than it is for me.  I had the ranch slider wide open for a whole day and a half before they would venture out.  And I'd been so careful to keep all doors and windows shut until then worrying about them escaping.  Not likely!


My AlleyCat on the left, my daughter's Korbi on the right

Like me, they want to check out every noise.  But when a visitor appears they run and hide in their favourite places, AlleyCat under the couch and Korbi under my bed.  This beautiful little creature obviously wants to be their friend but they're not having any of it.


I see more sky here than I did on the farm where I was surrounded by hills, I think I may become a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society.  I just checked and, yes, there is such a society.  This seems to be their motto - Look up, marvel at the ephemeral beauty, and always remember to live life with your head in the clouds!  Sounds good to me.

The weather has been threatening so there has been some good cloud activity to look at.  This looked like a storm approaching from the south east.  I think I felt 6 spots of rain.  It went elsewhere.


An hour or so later it showed up around to the north west.  And once again rained elsewhere.


Yesterday evening, in the same direction was this beauty.



Today it is all bleak and overcast, a dirty dull grey.  The Met Service has a heavy rain warning out so we shall see what a storm looks like here.  That's always something to look forward to.  I love a good storm.

13 comments:

  1. It used to take me several months at a new house to work out where our weather would come from - knowing which direction would miss us, and what signs meant we would get rain, that sort of thing. There is always so much to see in the skies above us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a process working it all out, isn't it? I just have to keep reminding myself to give it time.

      Delete
  2. Looks like the cats are settling in well. Takes time in a new place both for animals and people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Michelle. There are two neighbouring cats that come to visit and I think they are not happy about the change either.

      Delete
  3. Your cats know when they have a good, safe home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely way of looking at it. I'll try to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose it will be very strange for the cats having to suss out the neighbours. I think I'd feel rather like the cats and be a bit shy too although I'm not given to hiding under beds.

    Oddly I didn't feel enclosed in your Cottage but the big trees around the Big House were very domineering in my memory. I do like big skies though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighbours are still in hiding, except for the cats which are a bit more curious. Yes, those big old trees at the Big House rule over that hill. There is a plan to fell the biggest as they are very old and could fall in any storm. The place will look strange without them!

      Delete
  6. Sorry I didn't know you were moving, hope it is just as good at the new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maungakaramea is not Kerikeri, Amy, but it has its charms.

      Delete
  7. Hope you'll be happy in your new home (the cats included)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Monica. I'm slowly adjusting. As are the cats,

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!