Sunday 26 July 2020

Outrage and righteousness

I commented earlier today that we seem to be in an era of outrage here right now. A little later it dawned on me that I've heard about a BBC show called the Age of Outrage. Much better name for what I was meaning. I can't have a peep of the show because BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. The message says, “Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.“ Isn't it all? We are all obsessed with rights – and righteousness.

The political right and left are trying to outdo each other, the young and the old are at it, people of all races and backgrounds. Everyone seems to find a reason why they are hard done by. How we react to our differences seems to have changed, we don't seem to listen to others' viewpoints without a good dose of outrage or righteousness.

I was thinking for a while this morning that maybe it could all lead to change, to a better world.  I must have had sweet dreams last night.

One of my daughters said a couple of weeks ago she didn't want to discuss our PM with me because she didn't want to get into an argument. Who said anything about an argument? When did we last argue about anything? Why does a 40 something year old think having an opposing view can't be talked about?

With elections on the horizon no doubt I will find a few things that could bring on an outbreak of outrage. I can live with that but if you hear me exhibiting any signs of righteousness, please, please reign me in, tell me to stop being a pompous ass.

10 comments:

  1. I feel it is an outrageous time we're going through, Pauline. Like the torrential rains you had we're being deluged with too many outrageous attitudes from too many outrageous people! It's enough to make anyone feel outraged! :)

    Stick to your guns...keep taking good care...and retain your sense of humour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good discussion about things, but certainly no need to get into arguments about differences of opinions. It seems that the world is becoming so PC that you can't talk openly about anything anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you wholeheartedly, Margaret...PC has gone way overboard! I wish it would drown and sink to the bottom of the ocean, and grow barnacles. It's gone past the stage of being ridiculous. Take good care. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I do agree with you both. It's hard to express an honest opinion without offending someone. But I've had to sit and listen to others very loudly expressing their view only for them to be outraged if someone presents an opposing view. I've decided I'll keep my mouth shut and move quietly through life if I can. A pretty big if but I'll give it a go.

      Delete
  3. I have come to the conclusion that Covid-19 has affected a certain group of people in a way that no one had anticipated and that no one has yet documented or studied. The upshot is that people who were quite happy to have a friendly discussion about a city's opposing football teams (and then beat the living daylights out of each other) don't even bother with the discussion now. I could just have said people are being more combative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think it's got worse with Covid-19, Graham? Maybe because we had to close ranks around ourselves? I think it's been slowly getting worse for years. I certainly agree that the effects of the pandemic on us all will make an interesting study in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a good discussion, without ad hominims and with the agreement that we might not agree but we can still be friends, should be possible for people of kindness and good will.

    There can be disagreement without being disagreeable about it. At some point, i hope everyone figures that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You put things so well, messymimi. I can't imagine you being disagreeable even if we disagreed. Sadly, I don't hope much hope that everyone will come to agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a pity everything and so many people are too politically correct these days, people get so offended by literally nothing. Why can't we discuss our views anymore? if i don't agree with someone, not a problem, just move on, bigger things to get so upset about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now let's see ... I believe you are in New Zealand. Right? Are you suggesting there is as much outrage there as here in the USA? :-) My goodness. The evolution of humanity swings from chaos to peaceful harmony. We are clearly in chaos now. For my part I will be trying to move us in the direction toward harmony. I will hope the same for New Zealand. Thank you for a thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!