Friday 31 July 2020

A memory sparked

One of my grand-daughters is about to turn 17.  The one I cared for on a daily basis from the day she was born.  For years we were connected at the hip and I still clearly recall my consternation when she stopped coming every afternoon off the school bus to spend time with me, when she discovered the joy of being a girl, doing girly things with girlfriends, chatting on the phone with girlfriends, when I was superseded by much younger, much more fun females.  I knew it would happen sooner or later and got over it after a year or two.  Don't laugh, it really did take me that long.

Her approaching 17th has caused me much angst.  I don't know what she would like for a birthday gift.   I don't know her taste in things any more.  She's growing up in a different world to mine.

Last night as she sat in my lounge chatting with me I had the weirdest thought that her beauty is blooming and I'd like to give her flowers.  Would she think I'm nuts?  I don't have to answer that, she's always smiled at my little eccentricities and, anyway, her birthday is Monday and she will be at boarding school during the week, so it's not practical.  But it must have stayed on my mind because during the night I had a dream about a church Graham took me to visit in the Outer Hebrides, St Clements at Rodel.   Not long after waking up I went looking through my files to find a specific photo of flowers.


Soft light through old and dirty windows illuminating a lovely bouquet in an otherwise empty church.  I don't know what the analogy is. There is one but it hasn't dawned on me yet.

11 comments:

  1. I have visited this church. One of the best.
    I also recall the saga of the magpies, it still makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that church was hauntingly, eerily beautiful if a little damp and cold. Those magpies! You have a great memory, that was 2010. Georgia was so little, how that bird taunted her and her sisters. Happily she not now afraid of magpies, I give credit to those flags you thought were so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only five days ago that Kirsty and I were sorting out some tups. One was being really obstreperous and I said to it if you don't behave I'll wave a flag at you. I then then had to explain to Kirsty. She had to sit on a bale to recover.

      Delete
  3. Oddly, Pauline, I think that was the only time I've seen flowers in it. I think there had, very unusually, been a wedding there if I remember correctly. St Clement's at Rodel is always damp and cold even on the hottest day (which, in Harris, is not saying very much give the August Average High is 16ºC).

    Oddly enough I recently came across photos of the girls waving from the school bus when I was staying with you. It may well have been a magpie chase day. I was only divebombed once and it's scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely photo, showing how fond the girls were of you. And still are. They still ask after you and enjoy your postcards.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photo with that soft light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The windows were very old and very dirty but sure did make lovely light.

      Delete
  5. Children seem to grow up so fast. I'm sure your granddaughter will love anything you give her, even flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do grow up fast, Margaret. I've finally come up with an idea for a gift I know she will love, and I can make it for her. We have always made gifts for each other, I was getting stressed because I just couldn't come up with anything.

      Delete
  6. Like most churches, it probably felt very hushed, and the flowers lent some cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one had an atmosphere all its own, messymimi. I don't know when it was last used, messymimi. It was built in the early 1500s, very medieval. No furniture or artifacts of any kind, just that bouquet of flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!