Thursday 23 April 2020

Jami's Project - Day 30


So here we are, Day 30, the last day of Jami's project. I think I might hide my head somewhere and take no notice of the daily news for a few days.

Jami's idea of showing how in this together we all are has proven to be a good one. I read a piece just a day or so ago about us not being in the same boat but in the same storm. How true is that. Our experiences of the same virus have been quite different depending on our captains and senior crew and where on the globe each boat was situated when the storm hit. We are lucky our boat is way down here at the bottom of the world, far away from lots of outside influences.

My boat has weathered the storm quite well, I haven't suffered financially (although the country has – very badly), I've had the security of my pension and my way of life hasn't changed much. It's a little quieter than usual but not enough to be unsettling.

Many my age who live alone have faced terrible loneliness but I've had the unexpected company of one of my daughters who, to be honest, has taken over most the chores I sometimes find difficult. I've had the added joy of the birth of a grandchild and the happy endorphins that has released into my life. I'm lucky that I am reasonably familiar with modern technology so have been able to spend some time gazing at her as she sleeps so many miles away in Brasil.

For us, I think the worst is over as far as the virus is concerned. How the country's economy is going to get back on its feet I have no idea. I suspect the hard times will continue for many for quite a while. I try not to think about what life will be like for many in a few months.

This may seem silly to some but during the time of the lockdown my world, what I look out at every day, has returned to life. We've had rain, the grass is green again and the beauty of my surroundings is like a security blanket.

I'll be interested to see the outcome of Jami's project considering how different the perceptions and needs of her participants are. For Jami her life has been very different, no university life, no social life (and how hard must that be for a single 21 year old?) Her coping strategies will be vastly different from mine. Many other people have had so much more to cope with.

I wish my family and friends fair winds and following seas.

This is my last daily entry for Jami's Project whereby she wants to create a collection of journal entries from people of different ages, from different countries and different parts of this country, during this 30-day, Covid-19 period. She wants to highlight how “in this together” we all are, regardless of government policies, and the influence it will have on our wellbeing and to evaluate what individuals do to cope. She has participants from Alaska, Canary Island, France, Canada and Norway. (Jami is my grand-daughter.)

The Daily Count
Total cases 1451, Northland 27
6 new cases
8 in hospital
1065 recovered
16 deaths
There have now been 6 days of random testing but the talk around the results were very vague today and actually said nothing.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Pauline...as I mentioned in my previous response...I've cut down the amount of news I was watching...it is a good idea to do so. Too much is too much...

    I've also mentioned previously, I think, I, too, live alone (with my two furry mates), so being in solitary confinement is not foreign to me...it is how I live my life...by choice. I'm not a "social" person nowadays...again, by choice. I enjoy my own company and that of my two furry rascals.

    Keep your chin up...keep taking good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our lifestyles are quite similar, Lee. I'm not usually so all over the news as I have been for for the past month to keep me up to date for Jami's project. I don't even usually think about things so much to be honest. But I'm glad I did it for her.

      Delete
  3. Until the tourism industry comes back, you are right that things will get difficult for many.

    It makes perfectly good sense that you would see life and rebirth where you are, i am glad you do, we all need hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi messymimi, I'm going to take a blogging holiday and try not to think too much about anything for a few days just appreciate what I have.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!