Friday 24 August 2018

Nearly half way there

I'd have liked to stay longer in Proserpine and revisited more of my old haunts but time was passing and we were still not quite halfway through our journey.  The day was well underway when we left and we didn't linger in Mackay as we headed further south.  My sister suggested we spend at the night at Sarina Beach.  That was a good idea.  Our motel room opened on to the grassed area beside the beach.  And it had a lovely little restaurant on site so we didn't have to go looking for a meal. 

As you can see from the trees, there was a stiff breeze that evening.


There were only a couple of people to be seen on the beach.


The next day we had a long drive ahead of us, but what a great spot it would have been to spend some time.


We couldn't help but notice that we were leaving the lush tropics behind and passing through dry cattle country.  And I do mean dry!  I think there is added beauty to the countryside when the grass takes on a parchment colour.   It just needs a derelict building to make it the perfect place to waste time with a camera (or in my case a phone as I still hadn't solved my camera problem). 


My sister found my habit of stopping the car suddenly to take a photo when something caught my eye rather disconcerting, so I warned her when we started across the dry, arid plains that it was likely to happen.  And sure enough, I couldn't resist this sight:


Or this:

13 comments:

  1. All sorted now. It does look very beautiful. The fences are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous scenes from the beach. Love the images and I'm so sad that work is up and running here and that the beaches seem so far away for me :(

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Life can't be one long holiday, Mersad. Unfortunately!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you stopped along the way to take photos. They are great to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long without many distractions. I needed to break the monotony.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes i find it easier to let someone else drive to i can simply snap photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original plan was to share the driving but my sister refused to drive a manual car so I did it all. Over 2,000 kms.

      Delete
  5. yup I'm like your sister, I like to stop if something catches my eye too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like me, Amy. My sister found it rather alarming, to stop for no apparent reason (that she could see).

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the things I found irritating sometimes in New Zealand was the lack of opportunities to stop on many of the principal State Highways. Mind you we didn't do too badly in parts of Northland. Ah. Fences and sheds - the soul of so many photos.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!