Sunday 26 August 2018

Family time

I guess it was like when my father's older sisters came to visit when we were kids.  Dad was the fourth youngest in his family of 14 and my brother Terry is the second youngest in our family of 12.  I'm the oldest and my sister, Tricia who was travelling with me on my road trip, is fifth.  I always thought my paternal senior aunts were soooo old.  I think of them as sitting sedately in a lounge chair, skillfully balancing a cup of tea on their lap, smiling benignly as we sat around on our best behaviour, thinking we were being judged, praying we wouldn't say or do the wrong thing and shame the family.  They were always beautifully groomed, complete with hat, gloves and stockings.  A touch of rouge and a little lippy.  

I suppose the appearance of old(er) age hasn't changed. Our dress standards may have slipped but I hope my generation of senior aunts are not seen as quite so distant.  I thought I saw something of myself reflected in my brother's 15-year-old younger daughter, an interest of what life must have been like "back in the old days".  A polite smile of respect for a much older relative.  Strange to think that I am that person now.  I'm going to start behaving appropriately very soon - I promise!

Terry and his family have made their home in Gladstone, 550 km north of Brisbane, my eventual destination. Like Townsville, it is reliant on the mining industry and seems to be suffering from the downturn in mining in Australia.  Although the port still looked busy to an outsider. I wonder if it retains its world's fourth largest coal exporting terminal status?  One upon a time it was a grain port, but those days are long gone, although it is still a multi-commodity port and exports coal, alumina, aluminium, cement products, sodium cyanide and ammonium nitrate.

Its also a stepping off point for the south end of the Great Barrier Reef and its islands and reefs. 

I've posted about Gladstone before (here), when I last visited in September, 14.


My brother and his wife make good tour guides.  I was impressed by the East Shores Water Park which wins my prize for the best of the foreshore water parks we had seen.  It seems every major beach town has to have one and Gladstone can be very proud of theirs.


It has numerous public amenities including BBQs, pools with fountains, changing rooms, tables and seats. All nicely landscaped, overlooking the harbour and beside a pleasant walkway.


Tricia flew home to Brisbane from Gladstone so from here on south I was on my own.  Back to my usual mode of slow, solo travel, side roads and many stops for photos.  Thanks, Trish for keeping me on the right side of the road and reminding me of the road rules.  We had some good times!

At roadworks, on the road to Bundaberg

6 comments:

  1. It looks like a fabulous place to end such a trip. Don't start acting "proper", be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wonder when I will become an elegant, genteel old lady. At least I've got the OLD part! LOL!
    Love the photos, I so much want to see Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's weird about age, isn't it. I never did have children of my own but I still feel that I'm kind of slowly catching up with my 'elders' that are long gone by now... (parents, grandparents etc) Thinking every now and then that "but I'm the same age now as mum was when..." or "as grandma was when..." etc

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely area to visit especially as you are with family. I started noticing how different people treat me as the grey grows in my hair. Hubby even had the door opened for him by a young woman the other day, which I smiled at as he told me; he was appreciative of her kindness but amused at the idea of being treated as an older person. We both still feel quite young in our heads :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was discussing 'old' with a friend recently. In my grandfather's day 65 was 'old' now people go paragliding and white water rafting well into their 70s as a matter of course and in their 80s sometimes too. The great aunt or uncle being a venerable and staid person has, surely, long been assigned to the memory of people of our age (and older!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! I've caught up. I enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!