Thursday 23 August 2018

Beer, lunch and much laughter

Having a beer with an old mate on a Sunday morning sounds a bit close to impropriety but that's one thing I've never worried too much about, so when that was the time that suited an old mate best, that is how it was.  And what a pleasure it was to wish Ron a happy 80th birthday with a coldie.  And an added pleasure to see two other old guys I used to work with.  I'd better say that quietly because a couple of them aren't much older than me.  

As quite often happens in areas that are big in tourism, there are hidden gems.  So many tourists who visit the Whitsundays think the only places to see are Airlie Beach and the nearby islands.  I don't want to detract from them but there is so much more to see.  You need to get in a car and drive to the northern side of the Whitsundays (about 50 kms) to see a couple of real gems, Dingo Beach and Hydeaway Bay.

My sister and I had already decided that we wanted to re-visit the area and were lucky enough to be able to combine a visit with Sunday lunch with my friends, Bill and Linda's family and friends celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.  It had been a long time between lunches at the Dingo Beach pub, the food was definitely a bit more upmarket than it used to be but the atmosphere was the same.  A local entertainer who has been a part of the music scene for many years delighted our group with knowing every 60s song we could come up with.  The other diners didn't seem to mind!

All was quiet at the pub the next morning

After a fun night with friends playing pool amid lots of hilarity, we stayed the night with Bill and Linda at Hydeaway Bay. There couldn't be a lovelier place to wake.    There are a few more houses scattered along the beachfront and in the nearby hills than there used to be but not that many really.  It retains an air of peace and tranquility.  
Local going fishing

We took a morning drive further around the coast.  



Netted enclosure to keep swimmers safe from stingers

There were sad sights, too.  The previous day I had been saddened by the sight of buildings in Proserpine still not repaired after Cyclone Debbie in 2017.  There were reminders of the cyclone here, too.

4 comments:

  1. Yes much better, I guess the font changed with the beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got to see old mates, and that is a beautiful area. Just hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer, lunch, and laughter are three of my favorite things. Perfect to find them all one place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so pleased that you've now got a larger font. It does make read it easier without having to increase it manually all the time. Your second photo is a classic.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!