Monday 15 August 2016

On guard

I need to go to the grocery store.  But Bambi (yes, it's a goat called Bambi, don't ask) is on guard.  She's sitting there in the middle of the track outside my house, just waiting for me to disappear from view and she will be through the fence and nibbling on something in my garden.


When she's sitting like that you would never suspect she only has three legs.  One of the front legs is gone from the knee down, the only way to save her life when she was a baby.  But don't be fooled into thinking she can't move as fast as she needs to to keep away from me when I'm hot on her tail.  She makes up for in cunning what she lacks in speed.  

10 comments:

  1. Always endless entertainment to be had from goats and pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goats are smart and do whatever they need to do to get what they want. That's what a friend of mine who keeps goats says. She had one that used to climb in through her window to go through the house and out another window to get to the part of the yard she wanted to be in, leading all the other goats behind her and grinning the hugest goat smile the whole time! She knew just what she was doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that comment. I now can tell myself I have nothing to worry about.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Smarter than I thought. So you cannot fence her out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's possible, Tabor. But not worth the investment for one goat who produces nothing. She stays near the herd of cows that are calving at the moment. When they are further from the house, so will she be. Thank heavens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww lovely goat, I hope she doesn't eat your veges or flowers lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was driving from Christchurch to the Mt. Hutt area one day when I was visiting NZ in late 1986...and there in the middle of the road was a lamb. It's mother was looking on worriedly from behind the fence. Stopping the car, I got out...picked the lamb up and deposited back on the other side of the fence, placing it beside its mother. The ewe nuzzled it...and as I drove away, in the rear view mirror I could see the mother still looking at me...it was as if she was thanking me for my deed. I bet she gave her little one the rounds of the table for being out on the road! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goats are very determined and cunning as you say but I'd put my money on you outwitting her any day.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!