Thursday, 17 September 2026

A follow up

I titled my last post "Joy".  Since then a lovely neighbour named Joy has passed away.  She was, indeed, a joyful person and is missed.

Those wild ducks that were entertaining me when I last posted caused consternation yesterday evening when neither Mother nor Father Duck returned to their babies and as night approached 6 little ducklings waddled out from under the tree onto the lawn.   Both parents share the parenting of Paradise ducks here.  One of them threw all 6 of them out of the nest sometime yesterday which I  believe can happen when the parents feel the babies are ready to fledge.  But the babies didn't look old enough for that.   Gosh, they were cute.  They followed anyone that moved.  Eventually they ended up quite a way from "their" tree and were taken into care by a lady in the district who is very experienced in raising wild birds and releasing them when they can fly.  I must read up on wild duck parenting behaviour.

Spring is here, some of the trees know it, other are waiting for the weather to warm up a bit, I guess.  Most of the trees around me are evergreen natives except for this one below which I have grown quite fond of seeing in its stark leafless beauty.

This is one that knows spring is here:

I stopped and took that out the car window a few days ago after I'd left the physio and had been told my hand that I hurt when I had a fall recently is coming along nicely and will likely not need surgery, thanks to this little torturous device I wear on my fingers.   I couldn't count the number of times I've wanted to throw it away.  It is very uncomfortable and interrupts my sleep and I don't do well without a good night's sleep.

 

I've made that image as small as possible so you don't have to see my wrinkly hands too clearly.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!