I've always chosen to spend my leisure time with cheerful people, the more lively their sense of humour the better.
It is one thing to permit enjoyment in small doses. It is another to place it firmly alongside health, relationships, and financial security as a genuine life priority. I'm tempted to tell myself that is faintly irresponsible. Years of conditioning have taught me enjoyment belongs on the sidelines, something to be fitted in once everything else is taken care of.
The difficulty lies in recognising “everything else” is rarely finished. If you allow it, there can always be another task, another obligation, another reason to delay pleasure. When enjoyment depends on completion, it disappears. It's easy to let the "enjoyment must be earned" mindset to creep in.
For me, mental health, feeling connected, and a sense of fulfilment do not emerge accidentally. They are built through the experiences we allow ourselves to have. Enjoyment is not separate from a well-lived life; it is one of the core ingredients.
I don't think pleasure and enjoyment are the same thing but they are definitely first cousins. I can find enjoyment in the simplest of pleasures. What I enjoy does not need to be extravagant or time-consuming. Small, regular moments often have more impact than occasional grand events.
I'm not too sure where I'm going with all this. Except to tell you I had an accident, a fall, a week ago. Today is the first day I've felt half alive and have felt pleasure in anything. Thankfully, it is nearly spring and the paradise ducks which nest in the trees out front of my unit have been displaying mating behaviour, and a young male has been getting a bit uppity and creating havoc. Today I noticed some of the smaller birds squabbling, too.
Mother Duck all happy one minute.The next minute she is complaining, got a lot to say and, to me, seems to be acting submissively. Not that I know anything about duck behaviour. But Father Duck is definitely on the alert for the optimistic intruder and then there was a short battle in the air which I wasn't quick enough to capture.After a week of discomfit I am so happy that the ducks have reminded me to find pleasure in small things.
And thankful to my friends and neighbours who have taken such good care of me this past week and for having the trees to look out at when I couldn't move far.




I’m so sorry about your fall, and I can understand why those little moments outside would feel so precious after a week of being unable to move around much. There is something lovely about how life carries on right outside the window, completely unaware of what we are going through, and sometimes watching birds squabble or noticing a flower can give you that tiny spark back. I’ve also come to realise that we really cannot keep postponing enjoyment until everything else is sorted because there will always be something waiting for us. I hope you continue to feel more like yourself and take things gently while you recover. I’ve just shared a new blog post too, so you’re very welcome to come over and have a read when you feel up to it.
ReplyDeleteHi Melody, Thanks for visiting and for commenting. I will return the visit after I've said hello to my friends. Cheers.
DeleteI'm glad you're out of pain and enjoying life again
ReplyDeleteMe too! I think my enjoyment will be quiet pleasures for a while. Although, as I write that, I can hear a chain saw working quite close by and, as long as it doesn't come any closer, that has a comforting sound. I think I'm just a little concussed! :)
DeleteOh my goodness regarding your fall. I do hope you will feel so much more improved this coming week. Good to look out and see the trees, they are always changing. The orchid is pretty and don't they last a long time. It's good your neighbours helped you during last week, it's always a good feeling to have someone that will lend a hand....take care.
ReplyDeleteHi Margaret, I think I'm improving remarkably well. Every day I see improvement and can breathe a little easier (I broke my nose!). Spring is fast approaching, every day a little more new life.
DeleteI hope you recover quickly from your fall. I love seeing your photos of these ducks and geese.
ReplyDeleteI am recovering quickly, soon I will be quick enough to get to the phone for more duck photos. They are very quiet today and I'm wondering why.
DeleteOh, ouch! I pray you recover fully and quickly. Yes, enjoy what small moments you can. There truly is always more to check off of the to-do list.
ReplyDeleteOh mimi, I would hate to see your to-do list. You are always so busy. My "busy" doesn't compare with your busy, or nearly everyone else's. I don't even think of it as a to-do list. Now it's a "I must remember list".
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear of your fall. Falls are bad news as we age. I hope you have got a stick or a walker to help you stay upright in the future. Keep on getting better and I'm glad you can get enjoyment out of watching the ducks.
ReplyDelete