Tuesday 27 August 2024

Chicken drama queen

I've spent a lot of time quietly at home lately.  The cold I came down with after Georgia's 21st party proved hard to shake and developed into a chest infection.  Antibiotics beat the cold and almost beat me at the same time, I had an allergic reaction.  When that was overcome I had 3 or 4 days of good health before another cold caught up with me.  Arrgghhh!

Usually I listen to the radio during the day but have lost interest in that.  I'm just generally rather lethargic and tired most of the time.  I find if anything annoys me I am quite grumpy.  And I find it really annoying that I can do nothing about the thing that annoys me most right now.

We have an open area at the back of the retirement village where residents can have a large vegetable garden if they wish and one of the residents keeps a few hens.  I love hearing them clucking away to each other.  It's such a peaceful sound.

One of the chooks has turned into a drama queen.  She lays her daily egg around the same time each day and you wouldn't believe the fuss she makes.  She squawks over and over and over again.  Sometimes it seems like it will never stop.  I mutter all sorts of obscenities to her and end up feeling quite foolish for getting into such a state about a cackling chicken.

Other residents complain about a barking dog belonging to a neighbour but I live closer than most to that dog and that doesn't worry me at all.  Except for feeling sorry for the poor thing.  He barks all day but is quiet as soon as the family's children get home from school.  He's bored.

But for some reason I can't cope with a noisy chicken!

 the sawdust yard immediatley outside the chicken house

12 comments:

  1. Gosh two colds etc one after the other, that would make you feel not so good, and as we get older it takes longer to recover or it seems too.
    The chook, the Drama Queen, sounds annoying and I don't care for barking dogs either, annoys me.
    Take care, get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, It sure does seem to take longer to bounce back these days.

      Delete
  2. Hope you feel better soon, a bit unlucky to have one cold after another. We are going on a cruise to NZ next month so it's a reminder to take some Cold & Flu tabs in my luggage. I think the barking dogs would upset me although the chicken cackling might annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie, Yes, I'd pack a few cold meds. There are so many bugs around these days. Half the students at our little local school have been away this week with one thing or another.

      Delete
  3. I live wall-to-wall (and balcony-to-balcony, with doors frequently open in summer) with a dog that howls or barks when left alone. Super annoying! - but it was worse when the same tenant also had parrot... To my relief, they got rid of that though (after complaints...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I'm giving thanks it's just a hen cackling that's annoying me. Can't imagine the racket a parrot would make.

      Delete
  4. I know the kind of Drama Chicken you speak of and she can be so annoying even when one is feeling fit and healthy. I hope you are soon feeling on top of the world again - and the Madam Chicken decides to tone it down a bit. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret, The little drama queen had a day off today. I hope I didn't send bad juju her way. Even though she drives me crazy, I really like hens and enjoyed my little flock so much when I was on the farm.

      Delete
  5. I have 14 laying hens and they are all very dramatic after they lay an egg! They are quite loud, but not too close to the house. I hope it gets better with the hen and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my little flock of bantam hens when I was on the farm, Michelle. I'm hoping the little drama queen is new to the egg laying business and will settle down once she gets used to it.

      Delete
  6. It's funny what bothers one doesn't even register with another. Maybe the hen will quit if she gets no special attention from all her fussing. As for the dog, I feel quite sorry for it, too, and for all dogs left alone all day. They are family animals and want their family around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no you have had a bad time lately. I know the feeling. Little things can become annoying when you are not well. I wouldn't like to hear a cackling chook or a barking dog all day. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!