Tuesday 23 January 2024

A week without her

I was too emotional a week ago to write about my sadness when she left. But now I can look back at the time little Emilia was here with gratitude and joy.  

I've always been a bit dotty about my grand-children and it seems I get more so as I age.  Along with the rest of the family, I'd long ago given up hope of my younger son settling down and having children.  Then, just before he turned 50 he stumbled into fatherhood and he's the first to admit it's the best thing that ever happened to him.  He's been the primary caregiver and is an amazing father.  Emilia is now three and a half and is a bright, happy, confident and outgoing child who is fluent in both her native Portuguese and English and is growing confident in Italian as her mother has Italian heritage.  It amazes me how she can switch so easily from one language to another.  I've had no previous experience with bi-lingual children and their ability to absorb learning.  It's impressive.

Like her father, she is a water baby.  She just loves the beach.

with her two aunts

Emilia with my younger daughter meeting Franklin.  Franklin originally belonged to Georgia and when she went to boarding school, she gave him to my grandson, Aiden.  He's 15 or 16 years old.  The turtle that is, Aiden will be 13 in a few days.

Dad and daughter taking it easy after a hard day climbing mountains.

15 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely to have them home for a while but so sad to see them go. Being bi-lingual at 3 is amazing but I have seen that in Switzerland where kids spoke French, German and English. Why does your son live in Brazil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I've tried and tried to leave a comment on your blog - without success. Bernie first fell in love with Brasil in his 20s when he travelled through Sth America, then he met a Brasilian girl back here at home and followed her home some time after her Visa expired. He eventually started his own business in the dairy industry and has expanded into other Sth American countries and prospered. He's been there over 20 years now.

      Delete
  2. What a joy to have had her around you, lovely memories for her and you too. Lovely photos to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surely has been a joy to have her here, Margaret. She's just adorable.

      Delete
  3. Grand children are a real blessing, aren't they. Mine are mostly grown now but I have three greats with another one on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are, Diana. Emilia was a late surprise, younger than my g-g-daughter.

      Delete
  4. What wonderful precious memories you have here Pauline. I hope it won't be too long before you will all be able to meet up again :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year between Emilia's visits seem very long sometimes but when it comes to my age, they fly by so the next year will probably fly.

      Delete
  5. i'm getting to understand what you mean. I have one grand daughter who is about 3 months old and I miss her to bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to grand-motherhood, Amy. It's wonderful!!

      Delete
  6. An adorable little girl Pauline. I enjoyed all these special photos but that last one made me smile and smile. Being able to grow up bilingual is an incredible gift. Thank you for sharing and Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Denise. I'm hopeless with languages so think little Emilia is soo clever. And the accent - so cute!

      Delete
  7. My son also had a baby in his 40's and is overwhelmed with joy. She is a joy to be with and I do get to see her several times a year. MOre often if I was willing to drive into the city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems to me there's something extra special about a late arrival, Tabor. But I did think that about all the other grands, too. I'm glad, if a bit envious, that you get to see your precious little one so often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To arrive when Bernie was well into his middle age - Emilia must be a real blessing - a source of light and joy - reminding him and her mother what it is to be truly alive. How lovely that you got to spend a fair amount of time with her.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!