Monday 1 May 2023

Another ferry

Around 25 years ago some of my siblings and offspring and I had a day out on the Noosa River on two craft I think could be best described as motorised pontoons.  There were too many of us to go on one vessel.  This year when most of us were all once again staying in Noosa, we talked about doing the same thing but ended up deciding to explore via the ferries. That may have been decided upon because I related to all who would listen how much I'd enjoyed the Brisbane River ferry rides.  I'm not sure how it was decided, there were quite often a few conversations happening at the same time. 

My brother, Peter and his English wife, Judy (PJ, Pommie Jude) had just sold their apartment at the Sebel in Noosa, and had rented a 3 bedroom apartment at Noosaville, right on the river.  A younger brother, Danny and his wife, Judy (AJ, Aussie Jude) were at their apartment in Little Cove.  Peter drew up a plan for who was to stay with whom on which nights with all of us sharing the evening meal.  The Brisbane and Bundaberg siblings came for a night or two, some for longer.  It was a good plan but the surprising thing is it worked to perfection.  No one messed with the plan.

Our apartment was opposite a ferry terminal (on the left of the pic below) so it was super easy to cross the road and board a ferry for a trip up the river to Tewantin.  This was my first encounter with payment by "card only", no cash accepted.  When I asked at a supermarket a couple of days later if I could pay by cash, the checkout guy looked puzzled and replied, "Of course" as if that was a strange question.  The electronic world has not quite taken over yet.


We caught the ferry going up river first, to Tewantin, one of the earliest settled towns in the region.

 

 An interesting looking boat moored beside the ferry terminal at Tewantin

The ferry boat captain was a one man band, guiding the ferry in and out of the river traffic, raising and lowering the ramp for passengers, giving an interesting commentary as well.  Most of the river traffic were craft of various sizes hired by tourists, fishing boats, putt putts, those pontoon things we had once hired, and yachts both large and small - and it was obvious most of them had no idea what they were doing.  I really felt for the captain.


We alighted in Noosa and my sister, Tricia and I went in search of a cool drink.  Pete and PJ wanted an icecream, Clare and John went in another direction.  Somehow someone found out the ferry wasn't going back our way for another hour and none of us felt like walking around the shops for that long (I have said we are all getting old, haven't I?) so we found the terminal for the free bus which we had been hearing stopping right outside our apartment.  Peter found a seat on the bus beside an Italian young man holding a guitar and talked him into singing a song or two.  Soon others on the bus were putting in requests and it was a most enjoyable bus ride home, with many on the bus singing along. The passengers were smiling and the entertainer enjoyed the applause.

Tricia and I did take a quick look at the beach but this is not the Noosa I want to remember.  Slip (into a long-sleeved shirt), slop (on sunscreen), slap (on a hat) has now been amended to Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek, Slide to reflect the importance of seeking shade and sliding on wraparound sunglasses to prevent sun damage.


 It just didn't seem right to me that I could barely see the surf. 

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a grand time on the ferry, and you're right, the beach is no fun if you can't see the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good talking with family I expect.
    It's a nice area in and around Noosa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noosa is changing fast, Margaret. The main beach area and Hastings Street are too crowded for my liking. I prefer the quieter backwaters.

      Delete
  3. You sure have a big family. It must be so much fun all gettin together. What a great place to reunite in Noosa, although it is getting too many tourists and beach goers obviously. Still a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful place, Diane. Shame about the crowds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the captain did a good job, he must've known what he was doing. I haven't been to Noosa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A plan that works means the people involved cared about it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!