Wednesday 28 December 2022

It's been a while

Nearly a month since my last post.  Christmas has come and gone.  I haven't been home much but am about to enjoy a quiet day at home on my own. 

Unfortunately that jolly (very polite word) vertigo hasn't gone anywhere just yet.  Surely it will soon.  I had to miss a few of the pills (that I now know have been very effective) because of a mix up at the pharmacy, so I've been a bit wonky for the past day or so.   Despite that I had a lovely Christmas with most of my family.  All except my son, his partner and little girl who were due to arrive in time for the festivities but will now be here on 01 January due to a visa problem.  The New Year festivities will be a lot more special when they are here.

We had a big storm on Boxing Day.  We hadn't long finished our lunch, most of us were relaxing outside trying not to complain about the heat which was quite oppressive, terribly humid.  There was one flash of lightning, followed almost immediately but a huge rumble of thunder and within seconds the skies opened.  It reminded me of the tropics, rather dramatic for here.  The air cooled immediately and it was a lot more pleasant for us to gather inside.  And we can now vouch that my son's new home, which has been converted from an old cow shed (dairy), does not leak.

We had managed to get our family photo taken before the rain.  I'd hate to be the photographer who tries to take a formal photo of my crew.  With my family a camera set on a timer is always an invitation for silliness.

 

The kitchen in the new shed/house is spacious, there was no shortage of room for us all.

This is my favourite shot of the day.  My son and my grandson (daughter's son) having a heart to heart in the kitchen.


As I was drawing the curtains at home that evening, just on dark, I noticed what looked like storm clouds gathering.

I sat on the deck and waited.  As darkness drew in the clouds moved off to the west.

Another came in from the east and hung over my garage.


I love a good storm and was sure I was in for a beauty but the clouds blew away.  I'm sure someone not too far away received a good downpour before too long.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back to posting. You must have had a great time with your family. Impressive storm cloud photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the family picture with you as "the head of the tribe". Everything and everyone looks beautiful, even the menacing clouds!
    Wishing you the very Best in the upcoming new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the roof didn't leak!! We've had a couple of good storms here as well.
    I was thinking about your family arriving (as you know, my daughter was here). What a shame their trip got delayed, but it will still be so special when you get to see them.
    Hugz, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, just lovely...all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had a lovely time with your daughter, we've had not much rain here, Northland seems to have had more than the South Island has.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a wonderful Christmas gathering, i do hope your son and his family arrive on schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photo of your big family. I hope your son has arrived by now. Google Epley maneuver fo get rid of vertigo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been absent lately, too, Pauline. My best wishes to you...I hope 2023 brings you all the good things life has to offer. Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!