Saturday 5 November 2022

Cracker night

While other fire brigades around the country were busy last night responding to fires caused by fireworks, our local brigade members were entertaining the community with a well supervised fireworks display which they provide free to all comers each year.  I can see why so many people want Guy Fawkes night celebrations and the accompanying fireworks banned.  There have been two major fires caused by fireworks.  One at Hawke's Bay Te Mata Peak overnight needed 10 fire trucks to extinguish it and the big one which started on Wednesday night involved four helicopters and two planes and about 50 firefighters and forced the evacuation of 130 people from a holiday park just north of Christchurch. 

Our fire brigade is run by unpaid volunteers, a great asset to a community which is located some distance from the nearest fire station.  Minutes are important in emergencies, aren't they?  I was happy to see community service flourishing  in our community with so many young volunteers amongst the members last nights. 

Ready for the bonfire.


This morning all is quiet again except for the occasional shout of "Howzat" from the cricketers at the sports oval off to the left of the bonfire site.


And in my home the toys look lonely after the little girl who played with them has gone.
 

Nights like that are so much more fun when shared with a little one.  I just love it when a little one comes into my house and knows where the toy box is, that gives me the warm fuzzies.

15 comments:

  1. Now I'm jealous. I don't think we ever have helicopters.
    Good photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have helicopters spreading fertiliser from a bucket slung underneath, same way they spread water or flame suppressant for fires. Always look so dangerous to me!

      Delete
  2. A happy Guy Fawkes Day to you, Pauline. Good thing your night was safe. Fun fireworks photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, can't be much safer than provided by the fire brigade. People come from miles around because of that.

      Delete
  3. I like neither fires nor fireworks. It's best to keep away from both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't like to live where I do, then, Duta. I'm right next door to the where the display happens.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous fireworks photos - mine are always just blurs! How great the volunteers put on such a display; I imagine the community loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy with the photos, Margaret. Particularly as I kept forgetting to take them I was so busy looking skyward, oohing and aahing.

      Delete
  5. Fireworks and fires, done professionally, are great. It's the nuts with a few extra drinks in them who are all talk and no know-how who scare me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree, mimi. We are so fortunate to have a local fire brigade who put the display on for the community.

      Delete
  6. That is amazing that cracker night hasn't been banned. It has here for years. Not only fires start but loads of people were getting injured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is slowly dying out, Diane. I didn't read any reports on injuries this year, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a local very small community fire with some fireworks and food I believe. Not having any young children I didn't go but many of my neighbours (none of whom have young children either come to think of it) went and enjoyed the craic and the food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such fun we had on "Cracker Night" aka "Guy Fawkes' Night"when we were kids. I have so many happy memories from those years. It's no longer celebrated here...ceased in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I had responded to this post...sorry for being so tardy.

    We loved Cracker Night aka Guy Fawkes Night when we were kids. Such fun we had. The celebration ceased here in the Land of Oz in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!