Monday 8 August 2022

Whare Tapu Taonga

On Friday I went to town to have a look at the Whare Tapu Taonga exhibitiion which I'd read about in the local paper.  Even with my limited knowledge of the Maori language I know Whare means house, Tapu is sacred and Taonga is treasure or anything highly prized, a pretty good description of a church.

https://whangareiartmuseum.co.nz/ 

Anyone who has known me for a while knows that for years I've had a love affair with the small, old wooden churches of the north where I live.  So it was a thrill to see an exhibition of black and white photos of these churches by Laurence Aberhart, using an antique Korona view camera, last commercially manufactured in the 1930s.  I was particularly pleased to notice that some of my favourite churches have been lovingly restored and cared for since Mr Aberhart's visit. 

An example of that is the Ripeka Tapu Church, sitting right beside the Hokianga Harbour at Rangi Point, Waiparera on its northern edge. It was the first Anglican church to be built in the Hokianga in the 1870s. 


 photo by Laurence Aberhart
 
When GB and I visited it had just had a fresh coat of paint and was a very welcome sight after a long drive on a rough road.
 
It was badly in need of attention inside but it's humble wooden walls and ceilings really appealed to me.  Perhaps it was the light from the lovely windows that added a special glow.
 



 

 

 


 

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!