Friday 18 March 2022

Close to Home

It was a bit later than originally planned but last weekend my friend, Chris and I finally had our 2021 mid-winter break.  At the end of summer.  Covid interrupted our plans. 

We first took a mid-winter break together in 2000 when we explored the Coromandel Peninsula.  Sometimes it's just been for a couple of nights, sometimes a bit longer.   This was a short one, just two nights, Friday night in Parakai near Helensville and Saturday night in Dargaville.  Maybe it will be a longer one this winter.

Helensville is only a couple of hours from here and the garage I use to service my car is in Dargaville so I go there reasonably often.  You can see Helensville at the bottom on the map and Dargaville at the top.  And lots of harbour in between. 

When I first came to New Zealand in 1973 I lived at Pouto and in the early 2000s at Tapora at the end of the peninsula on the opposite side of the harbour, so the Kaipara Harbour holds many memories for me.  

With Covid restrictions finally lifting, Kairpara Cruises, which are based in Helensville, are once again operating their two day harbour cruise from there, with an overnight stay at the grand old Northern Wairoa Hotel in Dargaville.

 photo courtesy of Kaipara Cruises website

The boat coming to pick us up on a dreary Sunday morning.  On a fine day the hills of home, the Uppity Downities, are clearly visible.  It rained shortly after but cleared again an hour or so later.

I didn't get any decent photos.  My newish camera has been a disappointment.  It takes nice photos but I can't see the screen when I'm outside on a sunny day.  Not sure if it is the screen or my failing eyesight.  And my phone wasn't purchased with it's photographic ability (or lack of same) in mind.  And then I was so busy looking at the sights that I forgot about photos and got lost down memory lane.

Just a couple of bays before we reached Pouto Point
 
It was a wonderful weekend.  Everyone on board was friendly and enjoyed the cruise immensely.  Our hosts, Terry and Gaye couldn't have done more to make us comfortable and keep us well fed and watered.   Captain Terry's commentary on the points of historical interest were informative and interesting. Gaye is a brilliant hostess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!