Friday 3 September 2021

Imagination

Does anyone else think that imagination could have a lifespan?  Or is it just my brain has grown old and isn't as active as it used to be?

I remember when I was a kid and could turn any boring day into an exciting adventure.  I was creative and imaginative.  What I couldn't do in reality I could easily achieve in my head.  Mind you, I had a good go at achieving in reality most things I wanted to do, too.  I would fearlessly swing on a rope high in a tree and compete to see who could land the furthermost from the tree.  And in my imagination I would fly.  I'd play football and cricket in the back yard with my brothers and I'd be playing for Australia.  Being a girl didn't limit me.  Even when I grew a little older and was forbidden from playing football (to protect my lady bits as my father said) I was the best commentator, Pauline Lovejoy, better even than the legendary George Lovejoy.

Eventually, I put away my childish dreams and became a pragmatic realist but there was always a fairy tale or a story in my head waiting for a child to hear it.  I wrote poems for my children and grandchildren, little books of fantasy for each of my grand-children.

Now I want to do something special for my great-granddaughter and there's nothing there.  When I play with her I can't keep up with her "Let's pretend" games.  My imagination is slow and dull.

May your imagination and sense of adventure never fade.




14 comments:

  1. Don't give up, Pauline, it will come back to you. Creativity is forever! Just being there as a great (GREAT) grandmother is perhaps enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, I hope you are right. I'm singing, "If it don't fit, don't force it. Just relax and let it go."

      Delete
  2. Perhaps as we get older we have more experiences and mature so that there's not alot that's exciting and kind of like we are doing it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Perhaps you are right, Amy. Although I hope not.

      Delete
  3. Your inner child is shy, it's been a while. Keep playing with the great-granddaughter, and let her know it's safe to come put and play again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, mimi, I love your approach to life. Haven't seen your electrons in ages, I hope you and yours are well.

      Delete
  4. I think a lot of us can identify with what you are saying Pauline :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Margaret, I'll put you in my support group, then, shall I? Everyone else seems to have one (a support group I mean). You'll note I still have a more than healthy dose of cynacism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't one use to say of old people that they entered their "second childhood"? I don't think we grow too old for imagination, Pauline. Your memories are obviously still there - make use of that! :) (I recall that when I was little, I used to love when my grandmother told me about her own childhood.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I'm getting near that second childhood, so I'll look forward to that, Monica.

      Delete
  7. Don't put barricades around your imagination, Pauline. It's still there waiting to be unleashed. Let it run free. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may have unleashed it a little too much, Lee and it got away completely.

      Delete
  8. I think the brain slows down as well as our bodies. Let the little one lead the way.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!