Sunday 30 May 2021

Rainy day out

A rainy day in today after a rainy day outing yesterday.  My daughter and I braved the weather to watch the team my son coaches play rugby in Dargaville yesterday.  We thought we'd dodged the rain as we didn't encounter any rain on the drive to Dargaville. but it was just waiting for us, big dark clouds rolling in from the sea.

I do so enjoy attending these games of no frills grassroots rugby.  When I swore years ago that my days of trudging up and down the sideline in the rain were over, I didn't for one moment suspect that after 30 years or so I'd miss it.  I have to admit thermal underwear is warmer now than it used to be - that definitely helps.   I still haven't found the solution to keeping my feet warm, think there is an investment in boots in my near future. 

Regular sideline team supporters and a couple of reserves, keeping their hands warm.

Just a few steps and a few years separate the junior supporter from joining his heroes on the field.

Reminding my daughter that's she missing out on the action by pointing her camera at me.

15 comments:

  1. Good for you for braving the elements to enjoy what has pleased you for so many years. As a kid I played several sports and always enjoyed doing so, but I have never been a big fan of watching them. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't enjoy watching team sports much either, David, unless I'm involved in some way. I'm becoming very fond of the lads in my son's team and the spirit in which they play the game as I see this as a result of his influence.

      Delete
  2. IT is good to get out and cheer the younger and stronger ones on. I think there are heaters that you can put in your boots, but that may be too warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet usually stay warm, Tabor as long as they are dry. It's the keeping them dry that's my problem.

      Delete
  3. Local sports teams are the best, driven by love of the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree messymimi. And can't beat that hometown passion.

      Delete
  4. Not much fun watching teams play in the rain, but it does keep the grass green, so it is a mixed blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's pretty important in a farming community to keep that grass growing!

      Delete
  5. I'll leave that pastime to you, Pauline. I'll keep the coffee pot hot for your return! :)

    I hope you enjoyed your day in as much as your day out! Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy my day in, thanks, Lee. I was pretty whacked after my day out and spent half the day sleeping.

      Delete
  6. You were brave to remain and watch in the rain and the cold. A good supporter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a bit more stupid than brave, Di, but I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. You are pretty brave going out in the rain to watch the game. My grandsons play sport too and now I am often out there watching them as I did with my son 30+ years ago but try to avoid the rain if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think sport is great for children and knowing they are supported is important, too. At least the games I watch now are played in the afternoon, no more early Saturday morning starts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That reminds me of my days as a linesman when I really did enjoy the games. It was all so different then. (As, I'm sure, every generation says.)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!