Monday 12 April 2021

Filming in the Rain

We've had quite a bit of very welcome rain.

It hadn't started when I agreed to video my son's rugby team playing on Saturday.  He finds it a helpful coaching tool to look back over a game.

Only the most dedicated supporters were on the sideline.

It will be a challenge for him to see much from the end product, mainly because heavy rain  caused very low visibility.  But also because I was stationed further from the field than I would normally be, staying dry on the clubrooms deck.  I had the very justifiable excuse that I couldn't juggle the umbrella and the video camera at the same time.

I had difficulty seeing the ball half the time so just tried to concentrate on the general area of play.  

And I kept getting distracted by that palm tree that looks to be growing out of the goal post.

To complete the weekend I spent three hours with my grand-daughter, Georgia at the lodge tidying a storeroom.  She is so easy to work with, happily follows vague instructions and thinks for herself.  I think she knows me so well, she knows what I mean.  For example, "Just put all that on the third self so I can find things easily." results in just that,  labels facing front, everything sorted by category.  She's a treasure.  It was quite a warm, humid day and boring but tiring work, a lot of carrying and lifting but the smile never left her face.  She's what I think of as a useful person - which is quite high praise in my book.  

Then I think of Rowan Atkinson's, "About as useful as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking competition."  There's plenty of them around but that's definitely not Georgia.

11 comments:

  1. Georgia seems like a real treasure. We could all use a Georgia in our lives. As for filming in the rain, I think it only fair that part of the deal should be that you are provided with a person to hold the umbrella. Maybe there's another job for Georgia! And she'd do it with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The filming would have been Georgia's job if she wasn't helping her mother with a catering job elsewhere that day. I'm afraid I wouldn't trust any sideline supporter to hold the umbrella. I know how engrossed they get with the game, I think the game would be their priority, not keeping me dry.

      Delete
  2. Filming is hard work when there is pouring rain involved. You did your best. Have a wonderfu week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm asked to do it again, I'll know I did a reasonable job. Enjoy your week, too, Bill.

      Delete
  3. It is a tough assignment to film sports in bad weather. Hope it all worked out, and you are now dried out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As one supporter said to me there are some things only a mother would do. But I didn't get wet and had plenty of pleasant company on the clubroom deck.

      Delete
  4. I always feel for the players when they have to play in heavy rain. It can't be very nice for them, but they always seem to play on.
    Your grand-daughter sounds like a real treasure :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The films will help, even if they aren't the clearest, coaches know things just from watching that the rest of us never catch.

    Your granddaughter is a good, hard, cheerful worker, which is a rarity these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Pauline, thanks for visiting my blog helsieshappenings.blogspot.com
    I see I have lots of reading to do here. Nice to have found you. We have had lots oof lovely rain here in Brisbane and actually have green lawns. So nice for a change but something that NZ always has. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. These days Rowan Atkinson's description could be of me...the only change would be is...I am a woman!

    The love and admiration you feel for your grand-daughter (I love her name, by the way) is tangible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would have been difficult filming a rugby match in the rain. You are lucky to have such a helpful granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!