Thursday 26 November 2020

Where the road takes you

I almost didn't notice the flowers on the banana tree, they are so subtle - and so pretty.  We were pulling out of the carpark at The Gallery and Cafe at Helena Bay where we'd enjoyed a leisurely browse through the gallery and gardens.  I had to fire off a quick shot through the car window as the little parking lot was very crowded and we didn't want to cause a traffic jam out in the middle of nowhere.

The gallery has some beautiful pieces of artwork (at quite reasonable prices) and the hand made jewelry is stunning.  Unfortunately the piece that took my eye is a little beyond my means.

While we were there it was dismal and rainy, not the best for seeing the lush subtropical gardens and magnificent bush and sea views.   We couldn't even see the sea but it's there I assure you.

  Can you make out her eggs in the wire nest below her?

 



 

 

 

 

 

 




 I preferred this view through the trees, it looked more life like.




We must go back again when the sun is shining.  It was a bit too cool to sit on the cafe deck and take in the view while appreciating the very good food.  It's only about a 45 minute drive from here along the scenic coastal route north to Russell.  Rather than turn left to return home when we left, we decided to turn right and check out a couple of favourite beaches, it's only another hour to Russell.  

Russell was sparkling, warm in the sunshine.  It's a nice time of year to visit as it can get terribly busy in summer.  


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We were lucky, the car ferry to Opua was about to depart but the lovely lass who takes your fare waited for us to come on board.  A short ride  and just over an hour later we were back at my turnoff.


Don't ask me what the big gaps in my post is all about.  I've fiddled and fiddled and can't get rid of them.  

I'm linking to My Corner of the World.

15 comments:

  1. Sometimes Blogger seems to have a mind of its own :)
    Sounds like you had a lovely excursion, even if the weather was not too nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've given up arguing with Blogger, Margaret. It wins every time. Hopefully it will behave next time.

      Delete
  2. Another good look round. The gaps are there to let us imagine what might have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, if you filled in the gaps in my post I think I'd have a very entertaining story. I'm amused just imagining it.

      Delete
  3. I do'nt think I've ever been there but Russell usually always has good sunny weather, it's one of my favourite places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Russell when it's not teaming with tourists, Amy. I don't crowds very well.

      Delete
  4. It is not for we mere mortals to question the reasons why, Pauline...for the gaps! :)

    I love your photos...they are terrific. At present I am in awe of the jacarandas that are in full bloom hereabouts. They are magnificent...truly magnificient.

    Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Lee, I had a tear yesterday when I saw a jacaranda in bloom, they are magnificent (that's the only word for them) in your part of the world at this time of year. One of the last things my sister said before she died was, "The jacarandas will be out soon." They were just coming out the day of her funeral, so they always are reminder of her and our childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been sitting here re-living our safaris to Russell. Thank you. It was quite busy but also wet if I remember correctly on one visit and sunny on the other. The odd thing is that I cannot for the life of me recall were we stayed. When I have more time I shall have to try and work it out - hopefully from our blogs at the time. Wasn't it on the first of those trips that Dora broke down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely remember Dora breaking down when we stayed in that little cottage near a kiwifruit orchard just outside Kerikeri. I found a blog post from March 2014 when we went to Kerikeri and Russell but our Dora adventure was before then I think. I must, must remember Labels!

      Delete
  7. A nice outing, i hope you do get to go back on a sunny but uncrowded day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will definitely go back another day, mimi. Summer weekends brings people to the north so maybe we should do it mid-week.

      Delete
  8. The weather makes a big difference to a day out, but your photos were lovely and we can't change the weather. I hope you're feeling better after your fall, and I can understand how you must be feeling as confidence is very important to our well being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't change the weather and I don't like to miss out on a day out because of it. I am feeling better, thanks, Rosie.

      Delete
  9. Such an awesome place with so much to see. Hope you're better.

    What a fantastic addition to 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!