Wednesday 29 April 2020

Visitors

The familiar noises I hear are always in the distance - a farm motorbike or tractor, a milk tanker, the occasional truck that goes along the road (we rarely hear cars) - so when I hear a strange noise close by I pay attention.  A few days ago I heard what sounded like turkeys and hurried to look outside.  There are flocks of wild turkeys in the district but I've never seen them close to the house before.  They were a welcome distraction.


A little later when I looked out to see if they were still there I noticed the last of the day's sun on the big old tree in the background of the above photo.





12 comments:

  1. Funny how wild turkeys show up in our rural spots, bet they would be tough as old boots to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, I think there is a rule about when they are best eaten. Something to do with a month beginning with J. So January, June and July but can't remember if that's when they are best or worst. My ex used to say they are fine as long as there are no crickets around as they love to eat them and makes their meat really yuk. I've tried to cook them many ways, none of them successfully.

      Delete
  2. Be good to have those here, free Christmas dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a free meal is a good meal then they would pass muster, Adrian. But these blighters do no make a nice meal. Believe me, when we were on the bones of our backsides on the farm back in the 80s I experimented a lot with turkeys, rabbits and ducks. Cooking them, that is. My theory now is if it's wild, leave it alone.

      Delete
  3. Bende uzaklardan gelen sesleri dinlemeyi çok severim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plenty of turkeys here. Turkey season for hunters right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have a season for turkeys. You can shoot them any old time but not many do because they aren't good eating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wild turkeys are best stuffed and mounted as decor (if you are into that), not stuffed and eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way the light is hitting that tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have the turkeys in our yard too. Love to watch the babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We get the scrub turkeys around here every now and then. And a while back guinea fowl belonging the folk across the way used to pay a visit every now and then, but I've not seen, or heard them, in ages.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!