Tuesday 14 April 2020

Jami's Project - Days 19 nd 20



Peace


Easter Sunday

I've been thinking, thinking, trying to come up with something uplifting to say on this holy day. The most fitting I can come up with is “The great gift of Easter is hope.” Easter is meant to be a symbol of hope, renewal and new life, isn't it? If ever we needed that, it is now. I ponder on Hope and somehow that takes me to thinking that the thing that often gives me encouragement and hope when I am down is a smile.

You know what I'd like to experience, to see right now? Every day I realize how much I miss a friend's or a stranger's smile. That's what I'm looking forward to most when we come out of this crisis. Just a, “It's good to see you!” smile.

I so believe in the power of a smile, in the happiness, hope and positivity one can spread. I also happen to believe smiling boosts your immune system and relieves the stress that your body and mind feel. Smiling releases endorphins and helps to generate more positive emotions and we're going to need all the positivity we can muster when we return to our new normal. Smiles are contagious, as contagious as Covid19 so when there is none of that around, let's get cracking with the smiles.

This is my daily entry for Jami's Project whereby she wants to create a collection of journal entries from people of different ages, from different countries and different parts of this country, during this 30-day Covid19 period.  She wants to highlight how "in this together" we all are, regardless of government policies, and the influence it will have on our wellbeing and to evaluate what individuals do to cope.  She has participants from Alaska, Canary Island, France, Canada and Norway.  (Jami is my grand-daughter.)
The Daily Count
1330, 25 in Northland
18 new cases
13 in hospital
471 recovered
4 deaths 

Day 20

During the week I take a wander down to the letterbox every afternoon. I find it comforting to see everything looking as it usually does, to take note of what is changing now we are approaching winter. My cat sometimes comes with me part of the way and then waits for me to return but, even with encouragement, will not go past a certain point.


I think I am more obsessed with the weather than I am with Covid19. Or there could be a connection. I'm more aware of the weather and appreciative of the world around me at this time. I don't think I've ever gazed out at the trees so often or watched the bamboo and tall trees at the back of the house as they sway in any breeze. The bamboo is a little mesmerising, so graceful and flexible, so resilient. I need to channel bamboo into my life.

All five deaths from Covid19 in New Zealand have proved why all sources of information tell the elderly to stay in isolation. They have all been in their 70s, 80s or 90s. Three of those older folk have been from the same rest home, a place where they should have been safe.  But there's no hiding from this thing when people come and go from your bubble.  Please don't think I'm blaming the rest home management or staff, I'm sure they have done their very best under the most difficult circumstances imaginable and now a number of them have the virus, too.  I comment on it because it's been on my mind.  It's just so sad.   

I've accepted that I fall into that elderly category now.  I'm happy in my bubble and don't plan on leaving it any time soon. 

Sadly one of my grand-daughters walked from her house to mine (we both live on the farm) yesterday to pick feijoas and I couldn't go outside and join her for a chat.  She's one of our essential workers, bless her!

Oh, by the way, we've taken Adrian's advise and topped up our WIFI.  Leone is likely to be working from home for quite some time, even after we come out of Lockdown as her workplace sort out how to use space in the new normal.

This is is my daily entry for Jami's Project whereby she wants to create a collection of journal entries from people of different ages, from different countries and different parts of this country, during this 30-day Covid19 period.  She wants to highlight how "in this together" we all are, regardless of government policies, and the influence it will have on our wellbeing and to evaluate what individuals do to cope.  She has participants from Alaska, Canary Island, France, Canada and Norway.  (Jami is my grand-daughter.)

The Daily Count
Total 1349, 25 in Northland
19 new cases
14 in hospital
546 recovered
5 deaths



11 comments:

  1. Hey there, Pauline... So true...smiles, kind words, understanding, empathy...and a sense of humour...all go a long way to making the world a better place...both for the recipient and the giver. :)

    Take good care. Please give your lovely cat a pat from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee, Chance would be a fine thing, that cat is a law unto herself. She'll rub up against me, wind herself in and out of my legs as I walk (it's a miracle I have no broken bones) snuggle up on top of any part of me during the night, including trying to sit on my face but can I touch her? No way. She calls the shots that one. Love her spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad all is sorted apart from your header picture I will have a look later and see if I can sort it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you do that, please, Adrian. I just don't have the patience - or the skill. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Taking care to smile at people is important, we all need that. It is sad that you cannot go sit outside at a safe distance and speak to your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi, I could have talked to her from the deck but there were small children with her and I didn't want them to be told to stay away.

      Delete
  5. If you follow the precautions of washing hands and not touching your face and social distancing you are 99% safe. Remember that and do not let the fear get you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty good on the hand washing, Tabor. And I'm far too laid back to let the fear get at me. I should have added there were children with her and I don't want them to think they aren't allowed near me.

      Delete
  6. Glad that you are well. Stay that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really well, Michelle. Hope you are, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting that you should have mentioned smiles and letter boxes. I walk to the local letter (posting) box most days (post to me being delivered to my door). As you know I share your view on smiling. So this morning when I was walking up to the postbox I met a lady from Lower Bayble whose house I pass every time I go out in the car, who was walking her dog. We always wave and some months ago I stopped and exchanged a few words because she was crossing the road in front of me. This morning we stood on opposite sides of the road and chatted (shouted at each other) for a good while in the bitingly cold and strong wind. She remarked that I was the smiliest driver she'd ever encountered. I think that I shall live happily on that compliment for a long time. It would seem to give credence to your statement "I so believe in the power of a smile, in the happiness, hope and positivity one can spread."

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!