Friday 27 March 2020

Jami's Project - Day 3

"I know many of you are feeling anxious and uncertain with many questions about the days and weeks ahead, but please know that you are not alone."

It seems every company with whom I've had the most tenuous of contact is determined to clutter up my inbox with newsletters, such as the extract above.  They all want to assure me the health of their customers and staff is their highest priority but it's starting to annoy me that they all seem to think they know how I feel.  I swear if I read any more of these I'll start to believe I do feel anxious or uncertain.  Or wonder what is wrong with me if I don't.

Although this particular newsletter wasn't being overdramatic, there are plenty that are.  I guess all the dramatising is necessary to get to those who wouldn't listen otherwise.  Perhaps some folk need a good dose of fear to make them play by the rules.  But I wonder if there isn't a little too much emphasis on being conscious of the disease rather than on staying healthy?  But what would be the right balance?  I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in a position of having to decide the best way of getting across the message to everyone in a positive manner.  The current motto of "Stay safe, save lives" seems right just now.  We can only pray that it is understood by everyone.  And is that really likely given how often the same message is interpreted in a different way?  Nah, I'm overthinking this thing, letting negative communication experiences of the past influence my thinking.

I'm going to spend the rest of the day telling myself that the right individual choices of everyone will lead to the desired outcome.  And trust that everyone will make those right choices.  Whew!  Big ask!  Better kick start my positivity.

For the purpose of Jami's project I guess I should state the current state of Covid19 here.  How I'm thinking and feeling will no doubt be impacted by that.  New Zealand had 76 new and 9 probable cases today taking the total to 368 confirmed and probable cases, three of those are in the region where I live and one of those three is in hospital.  27 people have recovered. Our population is 4.6 million so I'd say we are doing as well as can be expected.

15 comments:

  1. You have a fabulous Prime minister and country. Stay positive and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Di, Yes, we are doing pretty well through all this, I think. You take care, too.

      Delete
  2. We undoubtably have a problem but I heard our "EXPERT" in the UK is using an Imperial College computer model written thirteen years ago and it is still undocumented. This means not peer reviewed or checked against previous outbreaks of SARS, Bird Flu etc. It could be right but the chances are that it's producing complete gibberish.
    I am more worried about the government taking control. I struggle to think of any event they are involved in benefiting from a bureaucrats input.
    I am wondering how we would have coped with the 19,000+ British deaths never mind all the other nationalities that perished on the first day of the Somme offensive.
    The world government either know more than they are letting on or have decided to stress test the population.
    It's Friday prayers here and it will be interesting to see if they try and enforce the 2m rule and two folk gatherings edict. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, No doubt you needed that little rant. May Friday prayers help you feel better.

      Delete
    2. Pauline, I'm fine or as good as I normally am.
      It wasn't a rant and today I see my speculation was justified as the expert from Imperial College is now back pedalling. You have to listen carefully to experts. We now have over a thousand folk dead in the UK. They died with the Corona virus but not necessarily from it.
      There is something else going on here.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the letter that your PM sent was very statesmanlike and at the same time caring and human. I have to say from this distance all I have seen of her since she assumed office has been has been food for hope.

    As for all the letters from the companies 'having the best interests of everyone at heart' they clutter my inbox for as long as it takes to press the delete key. I've had none through the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am refraining from letting my politics colour my responses so all I can say is our PM does have a lot of admirers. I'm getting pretty quick with that Delete key, too.

      Delete
  5. The project your granddaughter is doing sounds interesting. I went back to the beginning and caught up with these posts. The news can be depressing so I limit what I read. We don't have a tv so that is great, gave it up over a decade ago.
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I appreciate it.
    Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill, There's never a lot of good news around at the best of times and right now it can be awfully depressing. That's why I'm limiting myself, too.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep trying to stay positive, your country is doing well, from what i understand, at nipping this in the bud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, messymimi, there isn't anywhere else in the world I'd rather live right now.

      Delete
  8. It's gone up higher today, I think there were 83 new cases. Overall I think our pm has done pretty well, think the only gripe i have is maybe closing the borders alot sooner might've helped, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, Yes, I think we are pretty lucky to have the politicians that we do. Never thought I'd say those words. lol

      Delete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!