Monday 1 June 2020

The Subritzky Homestead

Blame the times.  I've been feeling a bit unsettled (and lazy) lately.  Blame the times.  Might as well, can't think of any other reason.

Before the laziness overcomes me I thought I'd have a look at this new Blogger interface as I can imagine the day coming when I have something on which I want to make a blog post and then having to grapple with learning a new way of doing things.  And, oh look, here's one I prepared earlier.  I would never have found it if I'd seen the New Post icon before I spotted 'Drafts'.


This is the best shot I've yet to take of the old Subritsky Homestead at Houhora.  It looks like it's had some attention recently, especially in the grounds.  I forgot when I was posting about my trip to Cape Reinga with my sisters (back in January) that we had called in for a brief stop at Houhora.  The Subritzky family were the first European settlers in the Far North.  I've always been fascinated by this old home and its history.  It was constructed between April 1860 and June of the following year.
 
In 1898 the homestead was sold to Ludolph Subritzky's married daughter Lousia Wagener and has remained ever since in the care of the Wagener family.  In 1991 the Subritzky Homestead was named a National Historic Place.

Haven't figured out how to enlarge the photo.  Give me time.

13 comments:

  1. I had a quick look a few weeks ago. I've not used it yet. I expect it to be a bit of a pain as Blogger is not high on Google's list of priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. The Times is not the paper it used to be and neither is The Daily Telegraph.

      Delete
    2. I made a right old dog's dinner of that post. The only way from here is up.

      Delete
  2. The photo enlarged a bit for me just by left clicking on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? Fancy that! Typical of me to do something without even trying but not able to do what I tried to do. Ah well!

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful home. The new blogger did not work for me...at all. I reverted back to the original to work from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I read that sooner or later the change will be forced upon us, Michelle. It might take me a while but sooner or later I will conquer it.

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely place.

    The new Blogger will become the default at the end of July, so i went ahead and switched. It's a pill, there's no easy way to do some of the stuff i like to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a fab old building, messymimi. I thought I read that somewhere, too, that the change in inevitable. I might have the hang of it by the end of July. Maybe.

      Delete
  5. You're not alone in how you're feeling, Pauline, I am sure. "Unsettled" is the perfect description. Take comfort in the fact that you are not Robinson Crusoe.

    Lovely old home and I am glad it has been put on the Heritage list.

    I wasn't aware of a new blogger interface....I hate change!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I'm not alone, Lee. I hate any change to do with the computer, not too bad with other stuff. I think I'm deep down scared that the next comp change might be beyond me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY YOU TWO. Woman up. Remember that all those young folk working at Google have to practise on someone and it is better in their minds they do it on us old folk. I'll get it sorted and post a couple of tutorials. Then the bastards will change it again. It's all just fun.
      I recall being at Glasgow Nautical College in the early nineties and some pompous tweny something twat started his lecture on digitally enhanced radar by saying.
      "I think you older ones are going to struggle here." I was forty and a bit and told him it was his job to make sure we didn't as I bet a pound to a penny he couldn't pass a master mariners ticket. The radar exams were the worst. Plotting six targets on a north up screen was very difficult and the new system was so much easier once one trusted it and not guessed as we (never) used to. Now there is ASI and it is easier still. Things are just different, not harder.
      Imagine as a forty year old being able to publish a diary and for free, for folk all over the world to be able to read it. One would have called them dreamers or plonkers. Look on the bright side of life. You can do it now and I will do my best to make sure you can carry on doing so.

      Delete
  7. Yes I have to confess I found the new blogger a bit confusing. As for Houhora I've never actually drive to it, just past on the main highway.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!