Wednesday 5 September 2018

Bundaberg

When I hear the place name Bundaberg I first of all think my brother Bernie, followed closely by strawberries.  I can't remember when I first made the strawberry association.  Perhaps it was way back in the 60s when my new husband and I spent a night of our honeymoon there.

Others might think of it as the home of the famous Aussie Spirit, Bundaberg Rum or perhaps recognise it as a major sugarcane production area.  It seems to me that horticulture is taking over from sugarcane these days.



When I reached town the first thing I noticed at my first stop was strawberries so, of course, I had to have some.  Little did I know that this little great-niece would be as big a fan of them as I am.  What a pleasure it is to meet the next generation of my family.  


My brother lives on the road to Bagara, a popular seaside area, peaceful and relaxed.  It is said to have a climate similar to Hawaii.


Another association one might make with Bundaberg is as the birthplace of Bert Hinkler, a pioneer Australian aviator.  He designed and built early aircraft before being the first person to fly solo from England to Australia.  The city is proud of their Hinkler Hall of Aviation and Hinkler House which he had built in Southampton, England and which has been dismantled and transported to Bundaberg to be rebuilt as a Memorial Museum in his honour.

They both sit within the Bundaberg Botanic Gardens where I enjoyed a Sunday stroll with Bernie and Leisa.  The gardens are magnificent with peaceful pathways and small lakes with bridges and fountains.  There are many birds - pelicans, ducks, shags, cormorants and ibis.  



I particularly liked the turtles. There were hundreds, of all sizes.


I returned the next day to the lovely cafe in the grounds to meet up with the girl who grew up next door to me.  We share a birthday, same age, too.  The previous evening Bernie had taken me to visit another old friend, the man who was bestman at my wedding all those years ago.   My second son bears the name of these two men - Bernard John.
"We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone."  Unknown
Thanks to Eileen   https://travelwitheileen.blogspot.com for the quote

7 comments:

  1. Looks a good place. I had never heard of Hinkler so thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great images Pauline. I love the little girl eating a strawberry, brilliant photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pauline, what a lovely post and images. Cute photo of your great niece eating the strawberry. I love the photos of the beach and all the birds. The turtles are cute too. Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful trip, it’s great to meet up with old friends and store away more lovely memories for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only visited and stayed at Bundaberg once...for a couple of days, but through the years I've visited Bundaberg rum often...It's a good rum and I always add it to my Christmas cakes when making them. :)

    The Moore Park Lifesavers, back in the Sixties and early Seventies always won the March Pasts during the Lifesaving Competitions. They were a force to be reckoned with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great place you've shared with us Pauline. Sweet photo of your darling little strawberry eater. I am a lover of strawberries too. Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. To me Bundaberg is Ginger Beer. Not being a rum drinker (or a ginger beer drinker really either) that meant nothing to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!