Monday 3 September 2018

Joseph Banks Conservation Park

If I were to have a memorial - and that's not something I wish for - I'd like it to be like this.  Made of natural bits and pieces, sticks and shells, tied together with bits of string and old rope.  For it to sit overlooking the sea would be even better.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to drown at sea to earn it, like the six fishermen this simple memorial commemorates did.  I've read of them described as seven larrikin mates (one survived) who were living their dream harvesting beche-de-mer (sea cucumbers).  They were experienced, capable and had every reason to be confident in their ability but their boat flipped in rough seas off this shore.  A sad, sad story.


The shore below the memorial - and a couple of keen fishermen
The memorial sits in Joseph Banks Conservation Park, a lovely spot.  There are easy walking tracks, some through thick bush, past weird rock formations, some along the edge of Bustard Bay.  I took the track around the rocky headland. 
After my walk, I was driving down a side road with no plans, decided to turn around as I was heading out of town and, as I turned, noticed a cafe sign.  It was outside a nice looking resort-y place, so I parked and wandered in.  The surroundings were nice, the food excellent if expensive but worth it for the company.  He's obviously a regular visitor and a born poser.


The next morning I was on my way to Bundaberg to visit another brother and his family.  
Heading out of town
I didn't have to go far before being hit by the dryness of the countryside.
I know this photo is all wrong but just look at the how dry that grass is.

A sight to make any farmer weep.  

And here's a sight to make Kiwi motorists weep.  This was at a small roadside gas station miles from anywhere.  The fuel was even cheaper in Bundaberg!


4 comments:

  1. What a sad story. The sea has a mind of its own, and no telling when things will turn against you no matter how experienced you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very interesting. I love kookaburras....I've a couple who visit me every afternoon. They keep a keen eye on me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fuel prices make me weep even more! I see that you still wander down side roads just on a whim. You've got me doing that now.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!