Tuesday 9 August 2016

Easy access

I have a new phone, courtesy of my son-in-law.  So although, to me, it appears to have all the bells and whistles, I guess it is already outdated. I've only had it a couple of weeks but it's made me cross a couple of times already.  OK, you're right, it hasn't made me cross.  I've got cross because I haven't been able to figure something out.  No matter how many times I check the settings, I still can't hear it when it rings.  Annoying.  And I find getting messages about emails and Facebook all a bit too "instant" for my liking.  

When I was at Jock's funeral (see previous post) at the weekend I was tempted and checked my messages when I went back to the car to get my camera.  Damn!  And double damn, I should not have done that.  It's not good to receive bad news when you are already feeling emotional.  It could have waited until I had been duly respectful to Jock.  I know my limits and knew I wouldn't be able to cope with the catching up with old friends and family that would follow the burial.  

AS I just said, I know myself and a well established behaviour for me is to skulk off by myself when I need to process something.  So that's what I did although I knew I wasn't up to driving home just yet.  So I headed out towards the coast where Jock used to live, in search of a place that fitted my mood.  

Before I left I took a few photos of the Northern Wairoa River as it winds through Dargaville, with the mountains of home in the background.  It's a muddy, muddy river and that day was a beautiful chocolate brown which I didn't manage to capture.





And one in the other direction of the river as it heads towards Pouto and the sea.  
 

I knew when I took the road down to the beach at Mahuta that I wouldn't be able to go too far as a four wheel drive vehicle is needed to access the beach.  I'd forgotten about the heather that grows on the roadside.            
             
                               
I didn't go much further than the spot where I took this next photo.  The road turns rather quickly to sand and grows very narrow.  You can see it snaking its way out to the beach in the middle of the photo, to the left of where I was standing. 

 
I am so lucky to know of lovely, wild, untamed places like this, the kind of place I need when life seems a little bit harder than it needs to be.  When I need to shout out loud, "Oh, come on, life!  Not now!  Give me a break!"

It's amazing how much good a little time in such a place does for me.  I enjoyed my drive back home stopping to take a few more photos further up the river.   If you look carefully you might be able to make out the old railway line which runs between the road and river.  These days there is no rail service but the line can be explored on converted golf carts.  Must do that one day soon.  When summer comes perhaps.  It's far too cold right now.        


13 comments:

  1. It looks the perfect place to regain ones equilibrium.
    I presume the tide was in. The river looks awfully close to flooding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been a lot of rain in the river catchment area, Adrian. On top of a full tide.

      Delete
  2. Pauline, these are beautiful shots. So glad to get to visit you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peggy, it's always good to see you.

      Delete
  3. When you need to be alone for a while, those are beautiful places in which to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Places like that feed my spirit when it needs it - if that makes any sense!

      Delete
  4. sometimes we need our own space to get our head around a situation . You shared some great photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is lovely and wild and I very much agree with you, these untamed places are good for the soul. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving these photos, I worked in Dargaville in 2010 for about a year, not much up there unfortunately :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a place or two that do for me what that ride did for you. When I want to rant a little or just take a break from being good and strong. A visit works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you have had an overload of bad news lately. I'm glad you can find a place that where you can re charge

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a mobile phone. I have no need for one and no intentions of getting one. I know I'm probably the Last of the Mohicans when it comes to mobile phone ownership, but that's okay with me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!