Saturday 26 September 2015

Gallop End

I think I 'cheated' on much of my trip.  Can hardly claim to be an intrepid traveler when a friend or family meet you and smooth your path.  I suspect I might still be trying to find my way out of Heathrow airport had my niece not met me.  What a wonderful way to arrive in a country - wide smiles and a first time meeting with a recently born great-niece.  I just had to sit back and allow myself to be whisked away to the beautiful Wiltshire countryside.  Travel could not be less stress free.

A warm welcome from my brother and sister-in-law, Peter and Judy, a tasty meal, a good night's sleep - it was all so easy it was hard to believe I was on the other side of the world. 

I spent a few days relaxing with my English family, enjoying the rural surroundings.  Judy took me for a walk so I could get my bearings 


and Peter whisked me off to see nearby sights.  The weather was perfect, comfortably warm days, cooler evenings, the countryside green and lush, the rolling hills and cropped farm fields abundant with crops ripe for harvesting.

I think most of these are in and around Bradford on Avon.

We weren't there on the right day/time to see inside the Tithe Barn at Barton Farm Country Park.




but it was lovely to wander beside the river in the afternoon sunshine and take in the sights.
 
 Boys on bikes
  
boys in boats.  (Just pretend you can't see that girl!)


The first of many stone bridges I was to see in the UK but I wasn't to know that at the time. 


The surrounding hillsides covered with stone houses and cottages made of golden honey coloured cotswold stone.

Nearby Bath deserves a post of its own so I will do that tomorrow.                            

8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous area! Your holiday looks fabulous.
    I do love the UK and I really hope I get to go back one day with my "big girl" camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure does make travel easier when family can house you and show you around. Way to go! The pics are lovely so green and picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you had an enjoyable time. As you say it was easy with family to help lower the stress level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice place to take a break from your everyday routine! It's always good to have friends and family there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful area...love that stone bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a bit of heaven to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good start to the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to start your holiday off with a warm welcome from family. It was the same for us on our second overseas trip and it makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!