Sunday 27 September 2015

Bath

A few times during my travels it was possible to choose whether to do a tour around an historic place with a guide or do a self guided tour with the aid of an audio-guide. I'd choose the guide any day of the week.  The audio units would be better if they were standardised but each one is different and I found most of them to be a bit of a challenge.   Rather than concentrating on what I was seeing, most of my time was spent figuring out which button to press next, which meant putting my glasses on to see the numbers and taking them off to see where I was going.  I really must learn to wear bifocals.
Each guide I was lucky enough to spend time with seemed to me to be a bit eccentric and quite endearing in their enthusiasm for their monument.  Our guide to the Roman Baths was possibly the most enthusiastic of them all.  He really added to my enjoyment of seeing one of the best-preserved ancient Roman spas in the world.  I even remember a couple of things he told us.  Which is surprising because I was constantly distracted from listening by looking around me and being overwhelmed by the history and age of everything.  I had difficulty comprehending that I was standing where what I'm looking at was first started in 69AD.  (That sentance could be a test in comprehension.)


 
Ancient bits
A contrast in headwear
 
Can't blame the cellphones!
  Costumed characters
Bath is the oldest of England’s principal tourist destinations and has been welcoming visitors for centuries.  They do it well.  My brother and I enjoyed the sights from a well organised bus tour (with audio guide).  
Bath Abbey
That soft creamy coloured stone I mentioned yesterday is evident here, too and adds to the elegance of the Georgian period's stately streets and crescents.  
The formatting of this post is all over the place.  I've been fiddling, should have left things alone.  Hopefully, I can fix it.  Soon.  Maybe.  
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Pauline and I enjoyed all your photos. I used to drive through Bath all the time to visit my sister and her family further up north. I never stopped as I was always focused on my destination but now, the fun is in the journey. I stop more often these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a long time since I was i Bath. I must return. As always you have a wonderful eye for the little details as well as the greater picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff you're sharing with us. I should get off my butt and go over and see some of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m a bit of a history buff especially about medieval England/scotland/ireland - I think I would be overwhelemed to be there too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The formatting doesn't take away from the pictures themselves. It's always amazing to stand where we are dwarfed by both time and the actual surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved Bath! My cousin lives in Bristol and we spent a few days with him and his family. He took us on a few day trips which included Bath. We also did the tour of the Roman Baths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, friendly and rather quirky guides make the tour so much more fun. I absolutely loved Bath and your photos remind me just what a fabulous place it is. The history of it overwhelmed me too. I really had a hard time getting my head round it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also a lucky one. A daughter in Bristol means thaT I get to Bath and its environs when ever i have been there. I agree with you the history grabs you. My first trip was special because a shop quite close to the baths sold sally-luns a teenage special lunch item.My mum always called them sally-luns but the local baker had a differnt name. seeing there was a bun like that called a sally lun reminded me of those occassions and lead me to remember my mum was the grandaughter of a cornish baker and worked in his bake houses in Raetahi and Pukemiro
    I love Bath

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!