Friday 22 October 2010

FSO - Patterns

Thanks, Doreen, for the great interpretation of today’s topic.  I particularly like these two sentences:  “Patterns, both natural and man-made, bring a sense of visual rhythm and harmony to photographs that, like a series of repeating notes in a melody, capture the imagination.”   and “Patterns appear whenever strong graphic elements—lines, colors, shapes, or forms—repeat themselves. "

As you know, I’m a rural person so most of the patterns I see in my day to day life are seen in a rural setting.  I see standard patterns and varied patterns. 

standard visitthecalves

There’s no such thing as a standard cow shed although a lot of them follow a similar pattern

cowshed

Simple patterns are all around me:

trees b & w

 rushes

Each flower has its own pattern but I loved what I saw when I superimposed roses over orchids.   (Way out pattern!)

superimposed

Although its hard to beat the simple beauty of a single species:

flowers  A couple more simple patterns:

fence

chris blanket

Of course, all patterns we see are from our own perspective, call it one eyed if you like:cropped eye

Thanks to Gordon for the topic.  To see lots of imaginative patterns, just pop over here.

15 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing your landscape through your eyes, and it is lovely, it really is. The fences, hedgerows, and animals all give me a good glimpse into where you live. Thanks Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the eye shot is great - I tried getting my sister's cat's chocolate swirls but they kept blurring. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sure case of less is more, I love the cows eye. Nicely cleaned up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely collection of patterns!I love the railing by the hedge best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do your cows have their own names? and when they come for milking, they have a particular/pattern?

    GReat selection of rura; photo, a joy for an urbanite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh come on Pauline 'Call it one eyed'. Oh dear!

    I must say that I admire the patterns you and Chris come up with as in Chris's blanket.

    But my favourite photo is the fence. It appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super selections for todays theme. It's always so interesting to see the different interpretations from everyone. The pattern around the eye is a really unique double view...one from your view and one from the animal eye view!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh...roses over orchids!! Nice! And the fence takes my eye into the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For sure Pauline a lot of pattern in the building and in nature. Great post.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the black and white trees and the one right after it. Great shoot out!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the patterns in nature best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the cow's eye, and your picture of those trees is stunning!

    Cheers
    Sarah-Paige
    Nitty Gritty Patterns

    ReplyDelete
  13. many great patterns. It is fun seeing every week how differently everyone interprets the theme. love the pattern on the cow and the hedge row. like B&B said, takes my eye way off into the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this blog - amazing pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!