Monday 2 May 2022

It's a whole new world

It's a whole new world!  Progress does not stand still while I live my quiet life in the sticks.  Which if fine with me, I'm all for change and improvements.  But then comes the day I need to re-enter that brave new world and I find that the years that have been quietly passing by have stolen some of my confidence for venturing amongst those changes.

I knew I'd never find a carpark in downtown Auckland so took an easier way out.  I'd catch a train from a suburb with which I used to be very familiar.  I'd been to the building I needed to visit before and knew it was just around the corner from the downtown train terminal.  (And it was the terminal so I couldn't miss the station.)  Couldn't be a better plan. 

And then I met the first obstacle.   And the first of several kind people who came to my aid. The carpark was all changed and there were roadworks outside, I couldn't find the entrance.  I took a side road and stopped to seek assistance from two young ladies having a chat over their prams.  One gave me a withering look, obviously patience with old ladies is not her strong suit. But the other lass was lovely, walked with me to the corner so she could point out exactly where the entrance was, explained how tricky it was, and even offered to come with me if her friend would watch her pram for a few minutes.  I wasn't going to bother her grouchy friend again, that's for sure.

Next new experience was buying a ticket for the train from a machine.  Normally I think I could manage that but the arrows on this one did not respond to my touch and I was desperately trying not to punch it when a teenage Asian girl came along who knew exactly how to deal with it.  She spoke to it in very terse language (don't ask me which one) then gave me her opinion, very politely, of the Auckland rail service.  Somewhere in that conversation she decided I needed a guardian angel and she stayed by my side until she reached her station just a few stops short of mine.  Which is just as well because I find I am no longer equipped to travel city public transport on my own.   My pint size companion had no hesitation telling an old Afghan man on the other side of me to, "Leave her alone," when he invited me to go to the mall with him and when I declined said he'd come with me instead.  Three youngsters who I'd guess would be around the same age as her bumped my leg with their bikes and she told them to apologize.  Which, bless them, they did.  I wanted to give her a hug when she left.

With a definite "I've got this" attitude I left the train and headed towards the building that housed the Australian Consulate.  Note I say housed.  As in past tense.  I don't know if I could give a repeat performance of the stunned look I gave the board that tells which business is on which floor.   It appears the whole building is now private apartments.  I think this is when I started muttering to myself.  Any ageing friends, take it from me, this is the best way to get help when you need it.  Just mutter to yourself and look around in an utterly lost, bewildered fashion. 

Luckily a very beautiful, upwardly mobile looking youngish lady was passing me heading for the lifts and made a detour to the letter boxes when she spotted me.  I sometimes object when people call me "dear" in a condescending fashion but I let this one get away with it, I was so thankful that she knew where the Consulate was (were?) now located - and it wasn't very far away.

A visitor is expected at any minute so will tell you later about the next level security at the Australian Consulate.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!