Wednesday 28 July 2021

Mason Daniel

I post so seldom these days I don't even think of myself as a blogger anymore,  For now, I'll continue when I want to record something I might want to remember later.

I'm not likely to forget Mason Daniel although I've yet to meet him.  He is my tiny great-grandson who was born 4 days ago, 9 weeks premature, weighing 1.39 kg (3 lbs 1 oz) with serious heart and chromosome problems.  His time on this earth is limited to days.  

I thought I had good coping strategies for coping with "stuff", hurt and loss but I guess I haven't had enough practise at it.  I'm lousy at it.  I'm sure it would be easier if there were something I could do, if I could somehow help my family get through this horrid time.

I'm consoling myself that looking after the little baby's sister while everyone else in the family is in Auckland to be near the hospital is my contribution.  Little Lexis loves being at my place and I love having her here but playing for hours every day is so tiring!  And I think being tired is not helping me to cope.

My red gloves will never be the same after serving as monster's feet for days.
The little cardigan Lexis is wearing was knitted by my mother for her mother, Krystal.

15 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time for your family. I hope your time with your little granddaughter helps you to get through and I am sure it will be appreciated. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie. Lexis is a great distraction that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. What a sad story. It sure is hard playing all day as we get older but its probably good to keep you busy. Sending you hugs and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs and best wishes appreciated, Di. You're right, I probably am better off being kept too busy to dwell on things.

      Delete
  3. So sad, and sounds like one of those things that will probably seem "unreal" for a long time even though at the same time one just has to cope, somehow. You taking care of Lexis probably does help the whole family though (her and you included) ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica, Lexis has now gone to stay with her father's sister who has young children for her to play with for a couple of days. I miss her already.

      Delete
  4. I was so sad to read this and can well understand your anguish and sheer frustration but I would think that looking after Lexis is an absolutely huge contribution. Please don't forget to take care of you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Graham. I know how important it is to Krystal that Lexis is safe and happy. She is now with an aunt with young children for a few days. She is happy there. Wee Mason is being airlifted to Whangarei today for palliative care. At least they will be closer to home then.

      Delete
  5. My heart aches for all of you. It's never easy to cope with something like this, i promise, no matter how good you get at coping.

    Your family will be in my prayers for comfort at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, mimi. Words are failing me at the moment but I appreciate your kind thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  6. So hard to find words to say but just know your in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ida. I appreciate your kind comment.

      Delete
  7. My brother's litle boy was born with a cleft palate and part of his brain missing, he constantly has epileptic fits, like on one hand you wouldn't want to be without him but on the other it's not a good quality of life though is it? A hard place to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy, I hear you. It's Day 8 today and to everyone's surprise little Mason is still alive giving us all time for lots of cuddles. He's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so lucky to be entrusted with such a sweet child. Enjoy as those years just fly!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!